Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Leupold GR spotter question.....

michsteelguy

I have a GREAT pair of binos (Swaros), and now I'm somewhat in the market for a spotter and have decided that Leupold GR's will probably be the one. I'm trying to find info about this topic but cant seem to find anything, but I was wondering if all GR spotters come with some sort of reticle, or is that an add-on to the standard purchase? In other words, when you buy the spotter, does it come STANDARD with a "blank" (plain) zoom lense and it will be extra if a certain reticle is desired?
Another question..... why would anyone want a reticle on a spotter when usually there is some sort of measurement device on your gun scope? Wouldnt having a reticle on a spotter just get in the way of full view, I mean you are just using it to spot game only....right?? I have never used a spotter as I'am a bowhunter at heart that only dabbles with a firearm...... now and again.

For your first question no I don’t think they come standard, I’m not 100% on that though. I bought a gold ring about 10 years ago and I loved it. Someone else thought they needed it more than I did and hocked it out of my truck. As for your second question it helps ALOT if you’re spotting for someone, if the reticle are compatible. Ie giving a mil correction to a shooter, if you give a wind hold of left .3 and the shot is .1 off the left edge you could adjust accordingly. You could use it for estimating range, but you’d need to know the measurements of what you’re trying to estimate. I know a lot of the reticles when you first look through them, be a rifle scope or a spotting scope look like they’d cause a lot of confusion but like anything else you get used to it. If you knew what you were doing, had a range finder and knew the mil relation formula I’m sure you could determine how wide things were, like a moose. Outside of that, I can’t think what I would use a reticle in a spotter for while I was hunting.

You only get a reticle if you buy the tactical model.

For best pricing on Leupold, buy from Schmalts here on Hunt Talk. He owns Predator Optics.

We have GR and a Swaro. The GR goes into the pack for spotting out away from the vehicle and longer back country hikes in. It is a great scope for us, still like my swaro glass a little better though. Our GR is not a HD model though so that may even the playing field so to speak on the glass with a newer HD model Leupold.
We'll be checking with Schmalts on any future Leupold purchases too, or any other optics.

Not sure how much of a rush you are in, but leupold is coming out with a new spotter in the near future it sounds like. Will go along the lines of their new bx-5 line of binos. Should be a lot better optically than the gr and will be able to get an angled eyepiece if so desired. This will all come at a greater price point I'm sure. Not sure if it is meant the replace the gr's tho, if that were the case there would be some good discounts. But my guess is they intend it to be a whole step up in optics. Just an fyi!
As others have mentioned, hit up schmaltz, not only great prices but great support and advice!!

Not sure how much of a rush you are in, but leupold is coming out with a new spotter in the near future it sounds like. Will go along the lines of their new bx-5 line of binos. Should be a lot better optically than the gr and will be able to get an angled eyepiece if so desired. This will all come at a greater price point I'm sure. Not sure if it is meant the replace the gr's tho, if that were the case there would be some good discounts. But my guess is they intend it to be a whole step up in optics. Just an fyi!
As others have mentioned, hit up schmaltz, not only great prices but great support and advice!!

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely keep this in mind, as I'm not in any hurry, just "scopin" things out.

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely keep this in mind, as I'm not in any hurry, just "scopin" things out.

The way it sounded on the podcast is that it would be pretty soon. Definitely by next season. If leupold is talking about it and pics float around social media it can't be too far off

A few pics of the new spotter. Official announcement coming next month.

80mm 27-55x
20180923_140622.jpg

20180924_105301.jpg

Size of the 80mm
20180924_105818.jpg

Will post more images of in-field use this week.

Thanks for the inside scoop Randy! Do you have any general info (you can share) about the difference(s) between this new model and the existing 20-60 X 80mm? I believe the existing spotter is HD (cant be sure though), and will give a tiny bit more zoom, although the FOV may be less. Could the new version have better glass, price point???
I know they are a sponsor here and yes, I trust the Leupold name and product, I just know that Leupold will be pushing the new product hard for sales. When its all said and done, I would want to purchase the better overall product..... whether it be the new 80mm, the current 80mm or even the existing 60mm . Either way...... Im sure the anouncement will tell it all, but was hoping to hear something from you as we all value your input and trust your opinions! Thanks again Randy!!!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back