Tongues and Tails, Kids are Funny

Grecco

A few days ago we were eating dinner that my wife cooked. After a couple bite my 6 year old daughter told my wife that she is the best cook. I agreed with her but reminded my daughter that I was the one who cooked the deer heart that she love last year. I asked my daughter if she wanted me to save a heart this year. She was all excited. I asked if she would eat a tongue if I kept one. She got a weird look on her face and said no but would try the tail. As i was trying to come up with a funny coment about poop that I could get a way with at the dinner table, my little boy who is 4 said ewww thats where the poop is. This really made my daught think twice about a eating a tail.

So in prep for a possible tongue what is a good recipe.

That's funny.
I've had ox tail before that was pretty good, maybe make some stock from a game tail?

I haven't cooked tongue in so long I can't offer any suggestions for you. The Mexican place down the road had great tongue tacos- maybe go that route?

Hank Shaw and Steve Rinella both have recipes for tongue on their websites. I'm hoping to give it a try this year, but I think I may have more use for a tag soup recipe.

I have three bou tongues and an elk tongue in my freezer right now. I'm thinking sous vide tacos... cook the tongue at 165 for 10 hours, get some onions, garlic, and peppercorns going in a pan after the onions are done, dice the tongue and add it in for a quick sear then serve on some crispy tortillas with sour cream, avocado, salsa, cilantro and some cheese.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back