PEAX Equipment

Wildly unprepared, overly ambitious: Sam's first pronghorn hunt

TexanSam

Well folks, I'm a week from leaving for the plains of Northeast Wyoming to try and fill a buck antelope tag, and then possibly a deer tag. I figured I'd make a thread that I could update as the days go by and the hunt progresses.

So far, all I have going with me is my 4x4 truck, rifle that I'm comfortable shooting to 300 yards, an old chest freezer to work as a cooler. OnX maps and my binoculars. Oh plus some random hunting essentials.

I'll be staying in Newcastle, and plan on trying the pizza barn that everyone talks about. If anyone is in the area feel free to let me know.

Frankly, I have no idea what I'm doing. But for some reason I am at peace with that due to the fact that I feel like I tend to complicate things should I put too much thought into it. Right now my plan is to glass all the public land until I find animals. I'll make a plan for the next step once I figure out part 1.

Stay tuned

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan. I will say that I cooked my antelope heart for the first time this year and it was fantastic. I'd recommend giving it a try if possible

So far, all I have going with me is my 4x4 truck, rifle that I'm comfortable shooting to 300 yards, an old chest freezer to work as a cooler. OnX maps and my binoculars. Oh plus some random hunting essentials.

Other than a camera, beer and food, I don't know what more you would need. Have an excellent adventure.

I will say that I cooked my antelope heart for the first time this year and it was fantastic

I do, I do so like them TexanSam I am....:)

Texas,post up in the "live Hunts"thread and the whole Fam Damily can follow along. Good luck,dirtclod Az.:cool:

Don't over think it. I did my first solo hunt in 2016 for pronghorn southwest of Casper. I had a blast. Something about doing everything yourself can be very satisfying.

Same here! I was going to make a thread with a handful of last minute questions but my dad and I figured what the hell, let's wing it. We'll be posted up somewhere outside Newcastle on FS or BLM. When I spoke to the biologist a week or so back he said to stay out of the prairie dog towns because of plague concerns. If you see a Red Forester with MI plates say hi, or shoot us the bird.

Good luck!

Best wishes! Will also be in Deer Region B, Oct. 7-13 - will you guys be done by then?

Good luck! You’re gonna have a blast! Make sure to post your story when you’re done

@muskeez: Yeah I gotta get back to the boss and the girlfriend by then probably. But that's the deer tag that I have. I've heard that it can be great, and I've also heard it's a waste of money. Frankly idk what to expect but if I see a legal deer, he'll get to ride back to Texas in a cooler

Last edited:
Good luck.

My buddies and I leave Sunday morning for that same area. I have a basic plan of spots I want to look at opening day. After that we are going to wing it. Goal is to have fun and bring home some meat.

Well fellas, I leave in the morning. Tonight I'm going to be making some meals to vacuum pack and freeze and I plan to reheat them from a propane stove that I'll bring with me. I made a last minute trip to the store for a pair of pants and some ammo so I should be set to head north in the morning!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back