Yeti GOBOX Collection

2018 CO Elk Success

Flatrock

The story of my hunt will be Terry style: A bull walked out of the trees the first night and I shot it. The end.

A couple thoughts:

The OnxMaps app on the phone is great. First time I've used it for my phone and it was awesome.

A 300 grain bullet makes one hell of a SMACK!

I bought a decent camera this year and made a concerted effort to USE it and I'm glad I did. I ended up with better pics than I usually do. I still need to learn more about how to use the camera though.

I'm not sure what to think of solo elk hunting. The packout wasn't too bad but I can only imagine how miserable it would have been if I had shot it 2 miles down in a canyon with a 1,000 foot drop. Also, just making a 14 hour drive alone is difficult. I was exhausted on my way home and it would have made a big difference being able to let someone else drive at times and get some sleep. It's just tough finding a hunting partner that you want to hunt with, can get the time off to go, has the same number of points as you, wants to do the same type of hunt, and on and on... I also feel better from a safety standpoint having someone else with. I have an InReach but still, I definitely have more peace of mind when someone else is with. When it comes down to it though, if I have to choose between going solo or staying home, I'm going to go solo!

I shot him the first night and at the risk of sounding like a jackass, I kind of felt like I missed out on an actual hunt. I had been looking forward to this hunt for quite a while and it ended just as quick as it started! This wasn't a big bull but for me, there's no way I was going to pass him up. On my drive home, I felt like I didn't even hunt and wanted to get back out in the woods. I already can't wait for next year!

IMG_0404.jpgIMG_0413.jpgIMG_0421.jpgIMG_0385.jpgIMG_0375.jpgIMG_0376.jpgIMG_0509.jpgIMG_0454.jpgIMG_0460.jpgIMG_0470.jpgIMG_0483.jpgIMG_0499.jpgIMG_0501.jpgIMG_0507.jpg

Nothing wrong with that one! Congrats! Nice pictures, even though you drive the wrong kind of truck! :p Kind of cool to look behind and see that rack.

Your a gifted story teller!

But really congrats, that is a great bull.

I will take a bull opening day anytime !!! Congrats on a successful trip , thanks for the post . I also understand what your talking about , we all invision a perfect hunt and the chase , dreams and reality don’t line up much . Like the old saying goes “ IN THE MIDDLE OF MY PLANS, LIFE HAPPENED” :cool:

Dude, that is a freaking awesome bull! Be glad it wasn't in a canyon. My son and I hunted a canyon the 1st day of muzzleloader & luckily didn't see/hear anything to make us want to hunt there the 2nd day. The hike out was approx. 1/3 mile, gaining 800' and it sucked without a loaded pack.

Congrats. I would shoot that bull first day to the last day and be super happy.

Looks to me like you pulled the trigger right on time, I wouldn't pass up that bull. Nice photos, what kind of camera were you using? Thanks for sharing the photos and the hunt with the rest of us. Congrats!

Congrats on a great bull! What rifle caliber did you use, and how far was the shot?

I picture is worth a 1000 words, so great story and nice bull!

Way to go man!������������

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back