PEAX Equipment

Mystery Ranch Backpack?

kellerdairyhunter

I am looking to buy a mystery ranch back pack that I can use for back pack trips, and pack back hunting. I see Randy using the mystery ranch metcalf all the time. Does that work good for a five day hunting back pack hunt? or Should i get the Mystery Ranch Marchall? Or does anybody have any other suggestions of back pack thats not too expensive? Go Buckeyes!!

Last edited:
I have every pack MR makes. For my style of hunting, the Metcalf is hard to beat, both for day use and 3-5 day trips. I tested the Beartooth, a 2019 model, on the AK sheep hunt. It is going to give the Metcalf a run of its money, as it is slightly more volume, but with a new waist belt, and can be compressed as flat as a Metcalf. It is now a toss up between those two for mountain hunting when my daily load consists of a kill kit, 2-3L of water, extra clothes, spotter, tripod, basic first aid/survival, extra production gear supplies, and the day's food.

Some may not take that with them each day and may hunt differently, resulting in a different solution for their needs. The safest bet for mountain hunting is a Metcalf. Odds are you will find ways to get benefit from the features, even if you don't use them to start with.

Sounds like I should have waited a year before buying my MR pack this year. I needed something slightly bigger than the Metcalf, so I went with the Marshall. The Beartooth sounds like it would of been perfect.

I have every pack MR makes. For my style of hunting, the Metcalf is hard to beat, both for day use and 3-5 day trips. I tested the Beartooth, a 2019 model, on the AK sheep hunt. It is going to give the Metcalf a run of its money, as it is slightly more volume, but with a new waist belt, and can be compressed as flat as a Metcalf. It is now a toss up between those two for mountain hunting when my daily load consists of a kill kit, 2-3L of water, extra clothes, spotter, tripod, basic first aid/survival, extra production gear supplies, and the day's food.

Some may not take that with them each day and may hunt differently, resulting in a different solution for their needs. The safest bet for mountain hunting is a Metcalf. Odds are you will find ways to get benefit from the features, even if you don't use them to start with.

This X 1

Wow. Randy you replying back to my comment, i feel like a junior high football quarterback getting advice from Peyton Manning. But I am looking a backpack to use here in a few weeks for a backpack trip with friends, and since I am buying one I would like to buy one for backpack hunting (I am hoping to win the sweepstakes) in the west, as well. Am I better off waiting for MR to come out with the Beartooth, or will the metalf do just as good of a job??

Wow. Randy you replying back to my comment, i feel like a junior high football quarterback getting advice from Peyton Manning. But I am looking a backpack to use here in a few weeks for a backpack trip with friends, and since I am buying one I would like to buy one for backpack hunting (I am hoping to win the sweepstakes) in the west, as well. Am I better off waiting for MR to come out with the Beartooth, or will the metalf do just as good of a job??

If you need it this season, buy the Metcalf and don't look back.

I have (and love!) my MR Pintler 60. The wife informed me that we are dong a split section/thru-hike of the Arizona Trail early next spring. I know that a Metcalf or Marshall bag will fit my GuideLight frame but never see them for sale alone and MR doesnt sell them that way. What pack lids can I add to my Pintler to give me some extra pockets/easy access storage?
Also, anyone run the WetRib and like it?
Thanks guys and gals!
PS I already tried the "Randy Newberg told me to go buy a whole new Mystery Ranch pack" on the wife and she vetoed that one. lol.

Pilsner

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back