How Many Pins?

WalkingBird

Hey All,
So I've got a single pin Black Gold Ascent on my bow, but I'm thinking about ordering a multi pin head for it through my local shop (called black gold direct and they said this was the easier/cheaper option than going straight through them). My question is, for the folks that use this sight, how many pins do you prefer and why?

I'm thinking about going with a 4 pin setup, using just green or yellow pins (I have a hard time seeing red at distance, maybe use it for my 20?) . I'd use .019" for the 3 "fixed" pins and a .010" for the floater

Does anyone have any other preferences?

Same sight. I like 5. What I've always used. I have, 2 times in the right situation and successfully, used a 60 or over fixed pin when hunting. I use the slider for practice, I enjoy long range shooting practice. When you move the sight housing you have to slightly change your anchor, I don't care who says what. It's a physical fact. I am now comfortable with it but I still like not having to fumble with anything in a hunting situation.

I use 5 pin Trophy ridge react 20, 30, 40, 50, 60. I don't want to have to mess with anything in the heat of the moment.

If I were to buy a new sight I'd look into a 3 pin with a slider, that said I've always used a 5 pin with no problems.

Hey All,
So I've got a single pin Black Gold Ascent on my bow, but I'm thinking about ordering a multi pin head for it through my local shop (called black gold direct and they said this was the easier/cheaper option than going straight through them). My question is, for the folks that use this sight, how many pins do you prefer and why?

I'm thinking about going with a 4 pin setup, using just green or yellow pins (I have a hard time seeing red at distance, maybe use it for my 20?) . I'd use .019" for the 3 "fixed" pins and a .010" for the floater

Does anyone have any other preferences?

I have the exact set up that you are talking about, I could not be happier 20-50 for the first four. The .10 at distance is awesome I wouldn't change this sight for the world extremely accurate on a BG Ascent set up.

I run a Black Gold Ascent also. I have 5 pins @ 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60. I use the 60 as the floater, I’ve never shot at an animal past 60, but I do shoot 3D to 80+. I’m very happy with it and see no reason to change.

i use a 5 pin sight. i can comfortably reach out to 60 yards, and that's good enough for me.

Very pleased with the 5 pin Black Gold Rush. I really don't care to be making sight pin adjustments in the final moments just before the shot.

I had a spot hogg 7 pin (20-80) but like practicing further distances. Went to a black gold ascent verdict 5 pin (20-60), the bottom pin is my floater and once I got my sight tape figured out I am able to shoot 108 before my vanes contact bottom of the sight housing.

Thanks guys for the insights, I'm not a long range (>60 yards) hunter, but I do enjoy shooting long range for practice, especially 3D shoots out in the desert. I'm not the biggest dude (read, short) around either, so with my current setup I get fletch contact if I adjust my sight to over 85 yards, but I still try and max out every time I go out for the practice.

I'm really leaning toward the 4 pin setup, although talking with one of the guys at the local shop suggested 3 pins....decisions decisions

I have a 7 pin BUT only use 5 (actually 4 since I regulate myself to a 50 yard max while hunting but practice to 60 as often as I can). I have used the other 2 pins on target only

I ran 3 pins (20, 30, 40) for a few years, but would practice 'holding over' at the range out to 60 yds. Then I killed a cow with a perfect arrow at 50 yds and said to myself, "That would have been a lot easier with a 50 yd pin instead of holding over." I added a 4th pin for 50 and killed a nice bull at 50 two years later.

I like my single pin slider. Set the pin at 34 yards and at 20 I am about 4 inches high and at 40 I am about 6 inches low. If I am going to attempt a longer shot I set it to the correct distance.
My logic is.. If you have time to range it, you will have time to slide the pin. If an animal comes in hot you point and shoot with a small correction factor for high or low. You are trying to hit a 10in killzone not a 1in bullseye.
My simple mind gets confused when I see 5 pins blocking my view. Since switching to the 1 pin I have not missed an animal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back