Who here uses trekking poles?

I love my trekking poles! The nicest buck I ever shot wouldn't have happened without them. He was above me on a steep hill and I was out of cover to get any closer.

I ended up using my trekking pole as a standing rest, since I couldn't see the buck over the curvature of the hill when I sat down. The shot was about 400 yards, too far for me to shoot offhand.

Using poles does seem to be a "pride" issue with some people, they consider using them a sign of weakness. My advice, get over it.

As pretty much every one has said they are extremely useful, and not just when packing out meat. I always have two with me, and am almost always using one when I'm walking, even on level ground. In addition to the heavy loads and downhill situations, they are great when navigating deadfalls and downed timber. When rifle hunting you can make a pretty good rest using two of them in kneeling position. Buy good ones that are light, and preferably will break down small enough to put in your pack or attach to it, you wont regret it.

I always take them along. In bow season I'm usually carrying my bow so I only use them if packing out meat or gear. I use them more during general season as my rifle is either slung or attached to a pack.

I find they mainly help in the area of balance more than anything and I find I'm usually comfortable enough to truck along a little faster when I use them.

I don't use them. I have tried them and agree that they make walking easier, but I like to carry my rifle in my hand. I hunt G bear country pretty much exclusively and don't kid myself that it can't happen to me. Late season I could get away with using them but I prefer to have my hands free to glass. I frequently hunt in the timber, and prefer quiet and simple. In timber I will frequently hang my rifle on my shoulder to glass. I wouldn't strap my rifle to my pack on a bet. If my rifle was strapped to my pack I wouldn't have killed 1/2 of the elk, or 2/3 of the deer that I have.

I think poles suit open country style hunting much better. Or spot and stalk. For my preferred style of hunting I see them as a handicap. I realize that I am in the minority in my style of hunting, and that suits me. I am not trying to be contrary, just adding a little food for thought. I do own a set but have used them more trapping than hunting.

I'm in this camp. My rifle is always in hand, rarely slung, never in a pack unless heading out with meat. I can see how poles help, but I'm set in my ways. mtmuley

Hit the big “four O” this year and by no means consider myself old or even getting there, but would be straight lying if I said my knees feel as good as they ever have. Always used to have bullet proof ankles too, but have sprained them a few times in the last 2 years. I like using poles, especially when packing heavier loads. Been trIning for two months now with a 60# pack getting ready for an Idaho backcountry mule deer hunt. On roads or trails I’ve used them every time except for twice, there is a difference for sure. They help with the actual weight bearing, kind of like being in 4wd, and with stAbility. On steep downhills, lots of rocks and my pack I feel so much better with them.

As a side note , I’ve been a member on another forum for years, this place is a breath of fresh air when it comes to actual information and civility.

MM

I don't use them. I have tried them and agree that they make walking easier, but I like to carry my rifle in my hand. I hunt G bear country pretty much exclusively and don't kid myself that it can't happen to me. Late season I could get away with using them but I prefer to have my hands free to glass. I frequently hunt in the timber, and prefer quiet and simple. In timber I will frequently hang my rifle on my shoulder to glass. I wouldn't strap my rifle to my pack on a bet. If my rifle was strapped to my pack I wouldn't have killed 1/2 of the elk, or 2/3 of the deer that I have.

I think poles suit open country style hunting much better. Or spot and stalk. For my preferred style of hunting I see them as a handicap. I realize that I am in the minority in my style of hunting, and that suits me. I am not trying to be contrary, just adding a little food for thought. I do own a set but have used them more trapping than hunting.

That's where something like the Kifaru gun bearer (https://store.kifaru.net/gun-bearers-p30.aspx) comes in handy. I think some of the other high-end pack makers offer something similar. Allows you to keep both hands free for glassing/trekking poles/navigating, distributes the weight of the gun to your hip belt, and still allows the gun to be brought to bear very quickly (you can release the fore end and mount the rifle in one fluid motion with practice). Still not might be your style, but worth looking into.

That's where something like the Kifaru gun bearer (https://store.kifaru.net/gun-bearers-p30.aspx) comes in handy. I think some of the other high-end pack makers offer something similar. Allows you to keep both hands free for glassing/trekking poles/navigating, distributes the weight of the gun to your hip belt, and still allows the gun to be brought to bear very quickly (you can release the fore end and mount the rifle in one fluid motion with practice). Still not might be your style, but worth looking into.

I use the GunBearer and find it very easy to use as well. Trekking poles are invaluable for any type of load in your pack, especially for humping 60 to 70 pound loads (or more) of meat across uneven terrain.

I used poles this spring and didnt like them because it was hard to use without my rifle strapped to the pack. Before my hunt this fall I got a gun bearer so i figured i would give them another shot. Definitely solved the rifle problem although the jury is still out on whether I like using them. Did see an article that said depending on you body time they and where your muscle is they might not benefit you. I will see if I can find it.

Another one size doesn't fit all situation(s) topics.
What are you gonna' be hunting, where, what's the terrain and topography like, how good of shape are you in, etc, etc. I'm 56 in a few days, weigh a bit too much, and have beat the shit out of my knees, ankles, etc. backpacking, etc for many years. I have 'em, don't use 'em much.
If one doesn't have any physical limitations, the only time I see any use for them is going down in steep, nasty, tallusy, mountain crap. I have spent and do spend quite a bit of time in this stuff and unless I'm losing serious altitude, this is where sticks usually stay - if I have 'em with me at all.
9900', 1000 ft. climb in a 1/4 mile, uneven rocky grassland, 55# pack, sweating like a pig mid August..........
diamondknob.jpg
that being said - Packing out meat on the back, they do definitely come in handy if the terrain sucks.........

Highly recommended. I did have an issue this spring about 5 miles into a backpacking trip. My shoulders had been bothering me a bit (rotators) and instead of being good therapy for them, they got more sore as the hike progressed. I wasn't carrying a particularly heavy load, so I just folded the poles up and strapped them to my pack.

What's the general concess on the folding trecking poles ?

Last pair I had with screw/lockers didn't work very well. they would tend to give in when I had weight on them, no matter how hard it. finally used channel locks and left them at one length. New pair
has the tab lockers. Not sure if that's what you mean by 'folding'

I have two pair of the Black Diamond z-poles. One set is 3 years old and no issues. The other pair is new with fold and slide lock. No use yet on that set.

112204_0000_DistanceCarbonFLZ_2_web.jpg

Last edited:
Well I'm an idiot. I ordered the poles in post #11, because I like that type of handle. I have only seen trekking poles come in pairs.

The package arrived today with one (just 1) nicely wrapped pole. hmmph.

Do the section's of those above pole lock together or does the cord running thu hold them when put together

Well I'm an idiot. I ordered the poles in post #11, because I like that type of handle. I have only seen trekking poles come in pairs.

The package arrived today with one (just 1) nicely wrapped pole. hmmph.

The advertisement did use the plural "poles". One might complain about that.

The advertisement did use the plural "poles". One might complain about that.

I fell for it :hump:

Buying a match for it tonight. i will be mildly humoured, and reminded, every time I start trekking

Last edited:
I'd be pissed. I fell for a Rig'em Right Decoy Anchor Kit from Cabelas. Turned out, it was only a dozen lead anchors, unless you did some digging and found the other parts (which came w/o the anchors). What sort of "Kit" is that? I whined, they took'em back.

I'd be pissed. I fell for a Rig'em Right Decoy Anchor Kit from Cabelas. Turned out, it was only a dozen lead anchors, unless you did some digging and found the other parts (which came w/o the anchors). What sort of "Kit" is that? I whined, they took'em back.

I could send it back. But my last pair bit the dust and I need a replacement.
I do like the pole. Most quality sets (pair) tht I have been perusing on the web are in the hundred $ range. So I guess this is abt right.
Just not thrilled abt how I got to this point

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back