Who here uses trekking poles?

Who here uses them? And if you do use them would you ever go back to not using them?

I have never tried them but am giving considerable thought to picking up a pair before our DIY this year.

Since knee and hip surgery I won't go anywhere without a trekking pole of some kind. Even if I have to use my shooting sticks. But prefer trekking pole(s).
To unstable now and my age isn't helping with the balancing act.

Trekking poles make a huge difference, especially with meat on your back.

Get some decent ones, you won't regret it. I tore ligaments in my knee again this spring and poles really helped in packing out my elk.

started using them a few years ago to haul meat. This year i started using them while hiking in at dark. They take a bit to get used to but once you become proficient with them, they are a game changer. My wife has a bum knee and was anti-trekking pole...until this year. They really helped her on the downhill.

Tried them this year for the first time. Use to have to attitude that I did not need them, but now have converted to the idea that I WANT them. Strap them to the pack if you don't need them, worth the little bit of weight for when you want them.

I used them for the 1st time last week. I pulled a hamstring on a hunt, thought I was done. Pulled the Costco trekking poles out of their package, was able to hobble around a few more days. Of course you have to sling your rifle when you have a pole in each hand. That was an adjustment.

I train without them and use them on my hunts. I’m not near as tired when I use trekking poles, and it allows me to go further. I picked up an REI brand several years ago for about $80. They lock in place really well and are right at 16oz.

I use poles every time I hunt, even for antelope on the prairie or chasing turkeys in CO. Might not use them every step of the way, but they at least come with me. Besides using them to actually hike, they make a great gun rest (i don't use a bipod on the gun or shooting sticks), and can make a really sturdy platform for glassing without having to lug a tripod for binos. Plus, I always have a tarp of some kind with me, so the poles are used for setting the tarp as well. I can't imagine not having trekking poles at this point.

Total game changer for me. Why not carry something so light that helps so much? Slowly converting all of my friends that are too proud to use such things.

I use them all the time. I like longer poles - mine are 60" long. When carrying loads, it lets the upper body carry some of the load. I also use them for a bipod and to hang the quarters from for deboning.

They often just stay in the pack, but they're light enough it's nice to know they are there for pack outs.

I use trekking poles on any hike that's longer than a dog walk.

^^^This

I've been using them for over a decade, having been selective in where I used them at the beginning and as time progressed, learned how to use them in any situation. As my joints age, trekking poles become more and more important. As stated by some, with heavy loads they are super helpful. For me, the same can be said for navigating in the dark and going downhill. My knees are starting to have a lot of joint pain and the downhill stretches without trekking poles while wearing a 20-30# day pack setup are almost unbearable. With trekking poles, those downhills are not much pain at all.

I have no problem attaching my rifle or my bow to my pack. I can count on one hand, maybe one finger, the number of encounters that I missed out on due to the rifle/bow being attached to my pack. I would need many hands to count the number of encounters I've had because trekking poles let me hike further/longer/faster than I could have without trekking poles and those extra miles have resulted in many shot opportunities.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back