Who here uses trekking poles?

I got a nice pair of Black Diamonds for a little less than 2x what you paid for one, so I suppose the price is what it is. Just the way they do things. I'm finding more and more of that sort of misleading stuff out there.

Hope the work for you. I've not used them before but in 3 weeks I'll give these a good try.

I use one and sometimes two if in the steeper stuff or if my pack is over 80 pounds. My core strength is not what is was so being able to use the trekking pole as another anchor point is reassuring. I have also used a pole as a shooting stick but not great for that unless grab a knee. Have used to help steady binos. Have used to lean forward so my back is parallel with the ground when wearing a heavy pack in order to rest and get the weight of the pack off my shoulders for a bit. In sticky and sharp stuff I will used the pole to help temporarily clear a path by pushing prickly pear or agave out of the way a few inches. I anchor the pole a bit under and beyond the cactus and then pry forward as take the next step which will move the cactus branch to the side just enough to keep moving and not get jabbed. Have used a pole to help keep a tent or tarp elevated. Used one to flick a snake out of the way. Use the pole to test if rock was stable before stepped forward in an avalanche chute.

Use one though have the other on my pack. World of difference packing out weight with 4 legs, in a sense...
I pack both for archery with the hopes it will help pack out game.
Also I've found using one trek pole while rifle hunting works great as a rifle rest, standing or seated.

I use poles on and off. For crossing steep, snow-covered slopes, they are a godsend.

Most of my hunting has been in the panhandle of Idaho where it is pretty thick. Like some of the others, I have my rifle in my hand when I am hunting that country. I did use trekking poles on a Hells Canyon deer hunt and they worked great. They also doubled as shooting sticks for a coyote at a little over 250 yards. I am taking them with me on a Wyoming moose hunt and I am hoping the country is as open as it appears on GoogleEarth.

On trails, or with a heavy load, I really like trekking poles.

I joined the club and picked up a set of the Carbon Z poles today. Pretty lightweight at 9.7 oz. each. Maybe they'll be useful on the upcoming moose and elk hunts.

Carbon-Z.jpg

I use them on most hunts involving a lot of hiking. Hiking to my WT tree stand doesn't require them but about everything else does. I find them very useful on both uphill and downhill. I'd also suggest buying a good set. I've been running Leki for a few years. The thing about Leki is the ability to buy replacement parts. Use them long enough and you'll bend/break something.

Can't say enough good things, don't leave home without them. I rest my binos on a pole for glassing while sitting down.

I used them in CO last month for a ML hunt and they saved my knees several times. I took a Cow about 7 miles in and for about the 1st 3 1/2 miles out it was downhill with switchbacks, big rocks and fallen trees. I took my time and used the poles when necessary once I hit the flat lands I reached up grabbed the top of the pack frame and made some time. Poles kept me from falling, twisting my knees and in general gave me the extra leverage when negotiating tricky spots.

I used them in CO last month for a ML hunt and they saved my knees several times. I took a Cow about 7 miles in and for about the 1st 3 1/2 miles out it was downhill with switchbacks, big rocks and fallen trees. I took my time and used the poles when necessary once I hit the flat lands I reached up grabbed the top of the pack frame and made some time. Poles kept me from falling, twisting my knees and in general gave me the extra leverage when negotiating tricky spots.

I commend you for being an animal and/or picking really really easy country to pack out of.
I live at 4600', hunt and hike the Rockies all the time, I live in 'em.
I would never hike an actual 7 miles in, shoot a cow, then take the multiple trips (round trip 14 miles with meat on the back) it would take to pack her out.
Maybe I'll start hunting CO with trekking poles - but I turn 56 in a couple days maybe not......
:)

I commend you for being an animal and/or picking really really easy country to pack out of.
I live at 4600', hunt and hike the Rockies all the time, I live in 'em.
I would never hike an actual 7 miles in, shoot a cow, then take the multiple trips (round trip 14 miles with meat on the back) it would take to pack her out.
Maybe I'll start hunting CO with trekking poles - but I turn 56 in a couple days maybe not......
:)

I questioned myself several times, I would have to turn my GPS on but I think I was around 8300 feet where I got my elk. On the hike in a ran my GPS to see exactly how far in a I was. Long story short is was 7.19 miles into where I set my tent up. I was .6 miles back to the trail I took my elk off of and I was up the mountain at least .25 miles and then another half a mile in. My cousins used to use an outfitter for a drop camp in this area but she passed away in 07 and I could not afford doing that on my own anyways. I could not find anyone in my friend circle to go either. I figured I might be in over my head when I kept running into guys with horse strings looking at me weird because I was so far up in. Once I pulled the trigger I made the choice to nearly kill myself getting the animal out. I did it in 3 trips, carrying way too much weight, but I was determined not to make 4 trips. I lost so much weight that I could not keep my hip belt on my hips for the last trip and I was sick for 2 days after my last trip out. I did all 3 trips between Monday morning at 7am and I was out Tuesday evening at 5:30pm. I have not lost any meat which I am grateful for. I will do it again but I have to figure out how to have a packer on the hook to come pull the meat.

On a side note I met a Travis, from South Dakota I believe, and his family on the way in. He told me where they were camping but I was not sure how much further in that was. Travis told me to track them down if I got an animal and they might be able to help me with their horses. Unfortunately I missed them by 1-2 hours and I think they would have hauled my elk out on Monday. They ran into me as I was almost back in for my 2nd load on Monday afternoon when they came up behind me. They had gone out to pick up more family with their horses. I learned a lot about myself and what to do different next time. If Travis is on here hopefully he reads this I was carrying a green Cabela's pack and frame.

Last edited:
As a side note, I use a tent that it’s design is centered around using the trekking poles at the tent poles. Using them anyway so my 2 man tent only weighs 3 pounds. It’s a river Country Products tent.

My wife watches the OYOA videos with me and other videos by Big Fin and he convinced HER that I needed trekking poles. Not one to argue with the woman of the house, i got a pair 2 years ago and love them. I feel like I am using my upper body to help propel myself and as a result, I feel less fatigued then when I don't use them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back