Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Decoys

Northwoods

I’m looking for some feedback and stories on the use of decoys bowhunting for whitetail. I might experiment with one this fall a bit. I don’t know if I should get a doe or buck decoy if I get one.

In my experience, you have to have to right spot to be able to use them effectively. I’ve had good encounters, indifferent encounters and downright bad ones- though those were all with does, who seem to hate decoys and see through the plot immediately

I have not had good experiences with decoys and whitetails. One thing is for sure, do not use them in the woods.

I think they can be extremely effective, however, I think the window for that opportunity is small for the buck decoy ( a week or 2 here in Indiana) Ive used both..doe and buck decoys...for me, the key is scent and movement...spray them with scent killer.... I normally use a strip of toilet paper and a thumbtack to give the appearance of movement of the tail, that will help with those old does for sure. Its fun to watch the interaction...good luck and be ready to shoot when using the buck decoy!!

Ive used them some, pain in the butt to haul around but ive had does and bucks come into them, the does seem to get suspicious right away and dont seem to hang around. I did shoot a buck over one a number of years back, but i believe he was coming my way regardless. If you do use one, make sure to have it out in the open so it doesn't surprise any deer that come in, they will blow out in a hurry. One modification i would make if it doesnt come this way, use a light flexible material for the tail. Mine came with a hard plastic tail that didn't move, so i used a white poly feed sack and cut out a tail and screwed it to the deer, the slightest breeze will make it move around and i believe this really helps

3 of my last 4 bow kills in Iowa have been over a decoy. I love hunting with one. There are times it doesn't work or just doesn't help but when it does it is so worth it. I use it on the edges of fields and open areas. I do not take it to thicker cover where deer won't see it until they are 40 yards away. My decoy has been attacked many times and has holes in it from bucks that I decided not to shoot. I start using a buck decoy Oct. 31 and use it until Nov. 20-25. I have never tried it as a doe decoy. When they are locked onto the decoy I swear they see nothing else in their world. If you have the right terrain to hunt I would recommend trying it. I place it 15-20 yards away and facing my treestand. I have CarryLite decoys which are no longer available. Dave Smith decoy is awesome, but $$$.

PS. I do use it in the woods, just in the more open areas where they can see it from a ways off.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. There are a few decent sized bucks in the woods where I live but I’m trying to figure out how to get a shot at one with a bow.

One tip that I’ve used is to only have half of the rack on its head. Possibly give the incoming buck just a touch more confidence that he is facing off against a half-racker

I was hoping Muskeez would get in on this!! He's had good success with decoys!!

totally forgot to mention facing the decoy towards you...

Last edited:
Any thoughts on using a doe decoy? Was thinking about attaching the primos motorized tail to a doe decoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back