Caribou Gear Tarp

WY 2018 Pronghorn

BuzzH

Spent the last 4 days out looking around for a buck for my wife. I cant say how many bucks I looked at, a couple hundred I would guess. I found 3 that I liked and had intel from a good friend on this board about another buck. I looked quite a bit for that one, but didn't turn him up until the morning prior to the season.

A few pictures.

Not the biggest buck, but a neat picture with the doe bedded down and all.

IMG951205.jpg

The 3 that I found that sort of stuck out from the crowd:

Buck #1:

IMG951145.jpg

Buck #2:

IMG951177.jpg

Buck #3:

IMG951236.jpg

Finally buck #4, after quite a bit of looking, turned up the buck that Greenhorn told me about:

IMG959168.jpg

Awesome pictures! Hopefully she gets to tag one!

So, the morning before the season, I watched buck #4 go to water at about 8:30 AM. Most all of the 75-100 other antelope near that waterhole also filtered into water first thing in the morning.

So, while driving back home I remembered my archery blind that's been sitting in the rafters for about 10 years. I decided to set the blind up about dark and hope that the buck would come to water again. Pat and I got in the blind about 20 minutes before legal shooting hours and right away the pronghorn started filtering in. It was constant action with bucks chasing does, bucks chasing each other, etc. Even got to watch a prairie falcon chasing horned larks. We eventually spotted the right buck and watched him from shortly after shooting hours until about 8:30. He was chasing does, chasing other bucks, getting chased by other bucks. Finally, just all of a sudden, he turns at about 900 yards and starts moving toward the water hole. Pretty soon he's 700 yards just walking steady. When he got to 500 he started trotting and within a matter of a couple minutes was at the waterhole. Just as he stooped down to get a drink, Pat shot him at 149 yards. He backed up slowly and collapsed. The hunt was over.

I just don't know how a hunt could go any better...and once again I'm humbled by the generosity of others willing to share some top notch information.

Anyway, Pats 2018 pronghorn:

IMG951298.jpg

IMG951269_2.jpg

For those into the numbers, I ran a fairly quick, but stingy, tape on him and came up with 83 1/8 gross and 82 4/8 net...15 4/8 length on both horns.

Ugh...you’re killing me Smalls. Not sure I’m gonna make it through the fall without an antelope tag in my pocket. Congrats on a great buck

Gleaming horns and a happy Pat on opening day. Never gets old. Congratulations to both of you.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back