Choosing the correct size Mystery Ranch pack

fattybinz

Hello all...new to the forum. I am buying my first real hunting pack. After a lot of research and reading advice on here I decided to go with the Mystery Ranch Pintler. Before ordering I'm trying to figure out what size to get. I've looked at the MR sizing guide and based on my waist size I am in the XL category, and if the straps are going over late season clothes then definitely in the XXL category. Based on my height, I am in the large category. Which one of these is more important when determining the best pack size? Should I just call MR and speak to someone there? Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

Are you able to try them on at a store near you? I just bought a metcalf and was undecided between medium and large. Luckily Scheels had both in stock for me to try on. I went with the large for added layers! Like you said, it can't hurt to call Mystery Ranch. Good choice I love my pack!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I did go to a store that carries them. I didn't compare one with another but I tried the XL. One of the disadvantages of being so new to this is that I'm not sure what to look for and not sure what to focus on in terms of how it fits. Anything you would suggest?...maybe pay attention to something like how it contours to my back vs. something else? The one I tried on also had padding in the pack and a fake elk quarter on the meat shelf, so who knows what it would feel like with weight. People there were helpful so maybe I'll go back when I have more time and when I've made it obvious I am going to buy then and there so that the person helping doesn't feel like they are wasting their time.

What I learned this winter when making the same choice is that the belts are the same between L & XL so your girth is not the question there. The important question in my experience is the distance between your C7 neck vertebrae (the one first one that protrudes on the top of your back when you lower your chin to your chest) and the top of your hip bone on the sides. If you go too big you will have a hard time getting the top of the back to the right place under weight. If you can try both on, bring along 15-10 pounds of weight to give it a more realistic fit.

I learned the above the expensive way - I went XL because I was on the borderline and typically buy up a size. I never could get it fit right, I could not lower the backplate down enough - I needed another inch. So I bought an new L and gave the XL to my soon to be son-in-law who is 2 inches taller than me. He would also be in the 2X waist range for MR, but we just bought some matching front webbing on amazon and replace the original a little longer for him - works great.

Last edited:
What I learned this winter when making the same choice is that the belts are the same between L & XL so your girth is not the question there. The important question in my experience is the distance between your C7 neck vertebrae (the one first one that protrudes on the top of your back when you lower your chin to your chest) and the top of your hip bone on the sides. If you go too big you will have a hard time getting the top of the back to the right place under weight. If you can try both on, bring along 15-10 pounds of weight to give it a more realistic fit.

I learned the above the expensive way - I went XL because I was on the borderline and typically buy up a size. I never could get it fit right, I could not lower the backplate down enough - I needed another inch. So I bought an new L and gave the XL to my soon to be son-in-law who is 2 inches taller than me. He would also be in the 2X waist range for MR, but we just bought some matching front webbing on amazon and replace the original a little longer for him - works great.

This is good advice. The waist belt obviously needs to be large enough to get buckled, but you generally tighten them up rather snugly. The more important fit will be just as described above. You need enough adjustment that the shoulder straps sit correctly on the shoulders while the waist belt hits your hips in the right location. Buy to large and you won't be able to adjust it down enough.

Back