Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

base camp cooker

CForest

Alright folks, I need some advice for a base camp cooker. I have always cooked what I wanted on a bbq on my shorter 3-4 day type hunts or staying in a camper. This year I will be out much longer and plan on doing some of the freezer bag type meals. So need something to boil water on, along with what I'm used to with a bbq. So far I have a couple ideas,
1. break down and buy a camp chef that has both in one unit
2. buy something like a msr dragonfly to boil stuff on (maybe I could cook everything on there??)

Always dealt with propane but maybe I should look at the more efficient white gas stoves..... Would like to keep it inexpensive and easy to pack and operate when the wife is along.

Whats your favorite base camp cooker????

If you plan on backpacking at some point maybe look at a canister stove like the MSR pocket rocket, otherwise the MSR whisperlite family of stoves are great. You can even get one that will take canisters as well as kerosene/white gas/ unleaded car gas. With whisperlites you are somewhat limited in your ability to control the flame... but you can cook anything with them.

Get a cheap propane turkey/fish fryer set-up and a pan to boil water. That's what I use. I have a propane stove in the camp trailer for cooking other things.

Get a cheap propane turkey/fish fryer set-up and a pan to boil water. That's what I use. I have a propane stove in the camp trailer for cooking other things.

That is actually a hell of an idea. Those things are bullet proof.

I am thinking about getting the smallest Traeger. They run around 300. They look super portable. I think it would make a great camping grill.

That's not a bad idea at all! Do they have much simmer type control or is it all or nothing??? I've had fried turkey, but was never involved with cooking it ha.

That is actually a hell of an idea. Those things are bullet proof.

I am thinking about getting the smallest Traeger. They run around 300. They look super portable. I think it would make a great camping grill.

Other than the need to have it plugged in to a power source.

I have a three burner camp chef with the bbq box that will fit the need for a base camp.

These are also pretty great camp stoves https://partnersteel.com/cook-partner

We have taken a generator on the last few hunts to power a cargo trailer camper with lights, electric heat and freezer. An added bonus has been cooking on electric griddle frypans. Quick and convenient and even handy for cooking inside the trailer some. I just purchased a presto boiling pot/deep fryer that may be just as handy. We are even thinking of leaving coleman stove and propane at home next year to reduce equipment. Just a thought.

Back