Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2 gun do-all battery suggestions?

My two are 257WBY and 300WBY. I use a .38-55 for primitive down here. .270 and .30-30 are semi-retired.

This is a tough one as I like all of the rifles in my toolbox. If I had to absolutely choose just two centerfire rifles to cover hunting almost everything on the planet I would choose a 7mm-08 and a 300WinMag. These two cartridges are plentiful in every store in the US and when we had that huge ammo shortage a few years back these two were still on the counters. Both have many many many different loaded factory weight bullets to cover a wide variety of animals.
But a person should really own a minimum of five firearms. The two centerfire rifles, a 22lr rifle, a 12ga shotgun and your preference of a handgun.

Last edited:
I currently own 2 rifles, 2 shotguns, and 2 handguns. I'm pretty happy with the two rifle calibers. This is the beginning of my collection and the "want" list is long:

Roberts 257 Winchester Model 70
Tikka T3 30-06
Weatherby Orion 12 Ga
Ithica SKB SXS 12 Ga
Ruger 357 GP100
Browning Buckmark 22

I've owned most of the cartridges you listed in the Kimber Montana configuration. Light rifles are a dream to carry in the mountains and can be shot effectively from field positions. My only caution is to think about recoil of the bigger offerings in the Montana rifle. I bought one of the first 300 WSM Montanas. It shot great but with full power 180/200 grain bullets, it sucked from the bench. I also got a nice scope-eye from shooting at a weird angle at a bear. The 30-06 on an 84L action will weigh a tad less than 7lbs with Talleys and Leup scope. It too is a bit more recoil than many want to deal with including me. My favorites LA are 270 and 280 AI. On my 280 AI, I'm only running 160 Accubonds at a shade over 2900 and have a 22 oz scope on it. It weighs 7lbs 2 oz as is. I also have a 308 and 257 Robts in Montana config. The 308 can get a little barky with max 165/180 loads.

If it were me, I'd look at a 280 AI as a do all, 1-rifle battery. I'd consider pairing it with a 6.5 Creed to give you a wide range of bullet weights to sling from a lightweight rifle.

BTW: I'm also not a fan of breaks.....

I would pass on Kimber all together. There are Howa Alpines still on the shelf for the same money and Howa have a much better accuracy reputation the Kimbers... Kimber roulette is a thing.
If you really want a 300 wsm and its a great cartridge, I would like long and hard at a Winchester EW. Perfect weight for a general purpose rifle.
The other thing is for shooting most game two rifles are not needed. I would pick a 30 caliber of some sort and rock on.

I have a lot of suggestions, but then dont we all. I just want to jump in and vouch for the 280 also. Very underated cartridge and i'm glad to see i'm not alone with my love affair. My go to is a browning xbolt medallion in 280. My 2 caliber choices would be 280 and 22-250.

Last edited:
I used a 280 for years on game up to and including moose. Its a great round, but so is the 270.

Last edited:
My dad had a 12ga and a .243 for most of his adult life. I'm glad he didn't know he was "silly" and give up hunting because he used most of his income to feed and cloth his family. Dipshits making coments like that make me glad he can hide on the internet or I'd be in jail for assault.

Unless we're not counting shotgun's, that's a good idea. Boring but still a good idea. I'd keep my 28ga and my 6.5x55. I don't hunt water fowl!

Back to the OP. Your choice is spot on. People tend to start posting answers that have nothing to do with the original post. One low end rifle and one high end rifle on the power spectrum is what he was asking about. The 6.5 Creed will do anything you want/need on the light/medium end and the 300 WM will cover any bases needed on the upper end. These two will allow you to take anything that you desire to hunt on this continent, with authority, as long as bullet selection is correct.

That being said, it has been many years since I owned "just one, or two rifles".

I see no rimfire, no shotgun, but 2 centerfires. One centerfire would suffice, but no rimfire or shotgun would not be adequate in my opinion.

Looking back over the past few years I have shot my small game rifles probably 90% of the time. Something in .223 22-250 or .243 would be probably one of my first choices. For a second big game rifle take all of the 7mm and .30 cal rifles made by Kimber throw a dart and you will be set.

I’d have to go 223 or 22-250 because there’s no way I’m not collecting coyote hides through the winter. Next gun would have to be a 280 Ackley or 30-06 or 7mm mashburn or 300 win mag. Damn that’s tough

At least one 30-06, then probably a .22lr (I know it wasn’t one of the choices) or .223

Sounds like 2 good ones to me. I have a 7mm WSM that I really like and I assume the 300 isn't much different. If I were to get another rifle(which I will someday) it will probably be something in the 6.5 range.

If I could only have two rifles for North America I would choose a 25-06 and a 338win. The 338 would probably get little use though. If I looked at it a little more realistic I would say a light weight 7-08, and a 300wm.

If I could only have two rifles for North America I would choose a 25-06 and a 338win. The 338 would probably get little use though. If I looked at it a little more realistic I would say a light weight 7-08, and a 300wm.

Which one would you use to hunt squirrels and rabbits?

Glad to see the 06' was on a lot of folks mind and got a little love.
Until I got my S&W AR-15 in 5.56 ...........my A-Bolt Stalker in 06' was my only high power rifle.
Randy was there a reason why Howa didn't see a market for the 06' in the project you mentioned?
I guess it is very close to the 308 in performance??

10Dogs

To the OP, I would suggest the .243 Win and the .300 Win Mag. Both cartridges are long time favorites, and ammo is available virtually anywhere in North America. The ammo choice menu is long and varied for both calibers. The .243 will handle any game from fox - deer. The .300 will handle anything larger.

Back