Caribou Gear

Late Season Gila/NM Temps... Help!

Northernlilywhite

Hi Guys,

So I am heading to NM for a back country late season (mid Nov) Elk hunt in Unit 15 (Gila NF). I normally hunt back east, but do head west for pronghorn. My concern is that I am getting mixed signals about Nov NM weather! Some websites including the Forest Service are saying be ready for low 20's at night/early morning, but yet others are saying 70 during the day. Now being from New England I am well aware of temp swings, however I am really struggling with what the hell to wear! I usually wear heavy heavy soft shell by FL for whitetails in Nov Dec and then wear corrugate (super lightweight) pants for Pronghorn in WY in Sept or early archery back home. I am worried that what I need is likely something in between. Same with boots, will I be crazy to go insulated with potential for 70 or should I just risk it and go normal hiking boots and be cold in the mornings.

Just really confused about to head out with with 50 degree swings when I'm not going to have the option of switching it up day to day.

Thanks for the help!

I've had a 10 degree morning with a 85 degree high in Montana spring bear hunting... welcome to the west.

This is what I would take (this is just the clothing I own I will try and be specific so you can get an idea)

Base layer: FL Merino shirt, and boxes
Mid Layer: Sitka fanatic hoodie, rei full length zip fleece pants (probably would only wear the bottoms in the tent or if I new the high was going to be 40 or less)
Insulated Layer: Outdoor research Puffy + Rab puffy vest
Outer Layer: Sitka Jetstream + Kuiu Guide Pants
Hardshell: Arcteryx Beta SL Hybrid, Marmont red star rain pants
Boots: Uninsulated Schnees (I'm always moving when I'm elk hunting so my feet don't get cold in uninsulated)
Merino wool socks
Outdoor research lost coast fingerless wool mittens + waterproof covers (army surplus)

The key with big swings in temp is layering, having one super heavy layer is where you can get stuck... also avoid cotton so that if you are sweating hiking up a hill you aren't freezing at the top while you glass. Also you should always be uncomfortably cold when you start hiking in the AM. If you are comfy you are going to be a sweaty mess in no time.

Last edited:
50 deg swings is normal for NM...if you don't like the weather in NM ,wait half an hour,it will change.

We are looking at possible El Nino this year which could mean early snowy year. 70's in Nov would be warm here. But if you were sitting under a tree glassing it would feel cold.IMHO Most of the unit is over 7500',peaks top @10k'.
Merino is your friend,& layers is key. Shell for cold wind is much needed.
The late mz hunt is usually looking for bull elk in cover where the feed is. You'll be sitting in the sun looking into the shady places. Going from sunny mud into frozen ground,mid-day.
I wear insulated boots in winter here. 400g Tibets or the Kenetrek pac boots. My feet get cold sitting. I lean towards staying warm in Nov., usually.

This is awesome to hear. Thanks guys. Really appreciate the time. I'm going to grab a heavier Softshell pant from FL, and bring my insulated Danners. Now off to FL to make a purchase! Thanks again for the feedback.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back