Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Jarbridge Wilderness cow elk success

broncridingirl

far enough Nor Cal to avoid traffic and people
Thanks to all of you that gave me good advice, both about hunting with horses and hunting Unit 72. We are heading home with a cow elk in the cooler after 2 hard days of hunting. It was super fun, saw quite a few elk and had a great first elk hunt. One shot 373 yards across a canyon and she dropped within 60 yards about 5 miles into the wilderness.

Congrats, broncoridinggirl. Any problems getting into and around the Jarbidge with the recent South Sugar Loaf fire? How were the roads?

We took 2 horses, rode in about 5 miles and used pack bags over a saddle to pack her out. Fortunately my husband was up for a fast hike out to keep up with me riding and leading the pack horse out before it got too dark on us. We saw quite a few elk, heard 5 or 6 bulls bugeling. My husband's uncle got lucky and shot a cow right next to the trail. Mine was a lot tougher pack out and about a mile from a trail. Super fun hunt though! And in some ways so much easier than the black tail hunting that we are used to here in Northern CA.

Amazing place. I hunted it for mule deer when it was mostly deer and a few elk. I understand that the elk have taken over now.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back