Bummer out.

NDMuley

Hey guys just need some lift me ups. Took out a young boy tonight. Had a shot at about 180. Shot looked great to me and his dad. Deer hunched and spun. Took off behind some tall weeds and lost site. Searched for 2 hours and no sign of a hit or the deer. I just feel sick. Can't get the image out of my head of the doe hunching up. Thought for sure she would be laying within 100 yards.

Check again in the morning maybe see something you didn’t in low light? But good on you for taking some youngsters out hunting!!

Not sure on the legality of a dog out there, but if you know anybody with a decent bird/versatile dog, get him on the track in the track in the morning.

I didn't go overboard with any blood tracking details, but my old vizsla has found a half dozen deer for friends and family who had given up hope.

Way to go getting some kids outside. It's sickening when things don't go right, but if you can drag up some friends grid things off and give it a go in the morning if you can swing it. Good luck.

My dog has helped find a few. No training, she just gets on it and goes once she figures out that's what I want. Might try bringing a dog if you have one available.

My dog has helped find a few. No training, she just gets on it and goes once she figures out that's what I want. Might try bringing a dog if you have one available.

100% illegal in ND . For any reason while deer hunting . Also , I have great admiration NDMuley , thanks for taking some kids out !

Bet you find her in the morning. Keep at it. Regardless of the final outcome, lots of learning for a young hunter from this. Kudos to you for passing it on.

Sometimes when they hunch like that its a gut shot , head for water and check the nastiest thickest stuff around in the morning

Also try spraying the area with hydrogen peroxide. It'll foam up on blood you didn't see or thought was dirt. Do it liberally at the initial shot site.

Update. Went and searched for a couple more hours this morning and no luck finding the deer. I will chalk this 1 up as a learning experience. Feel bad for the young man but hopefully he will get another chance. Thanks for all the positive comments.

Its tough, but it happens, good luck to the young man next time out . taking the youth out is important, however I have to ? ND GF for letting 11-13 years old whack doe's with no limit on the hunters, everyone is on bowhunters case in ND for how many deer they kill (mostly bucks) but how many doe's are being shot by 11-13 year old? again, im all for youth hunters, I just don't know if 11-13 year olds need to be shooting deer with a rifle. I liked the old rule when u had to be 14. the number of doe's getting whacked in this 10 day youth season has got to be pretty high... im guessing several thousand... in state that has trouble maintaining deer numbers the way it is whacking all these doe's makes 0 sense. theres other ways to get 11-13 year olds out of the house.

100% illegal in ND . For any reason while deer hunting .

Just dumb... Lots of deer get recovered every year by recovery dogs all over this country.. Time that legislators get with the program as it's easy to craft laws to ensure the integrity of this process and keeps from game being wasted in the field and the disappointment that too many hunters feel who cannot use tracking dogs...

Just dumb... Lots of deer get recovered every year by recovery dogs all over this country.. Time that legislators get with the program as it's easy to craft laws to ensure the integrity of this process and keeps from game being wasted in the field and the disappointment that too many hunters feel who cannot use tracking dogs...

Agreed .

I had the same happen to me two years ago. 60 yd broadside shot should have dropped the buck in his tracks. My bullet must have deflected off some brush because I had him lined up to take a shot to the boiler room but instead it hit him in the lungs. The deer ran into the deepest brush and we lost the blood trail. Three of us looked for about three days and again after the season was over. No sign of the buck. Following spring I get a call from my uncle, his dog had been bringing pieces of the deer home since the snow melted off. I didn't harvest a deer that year, sometimes that's just how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back