Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Anyone have + or - experience with Savage Stevens 555 shotgun?

Ben Long

I've always wanted a double gun but balk at the price. I'm thinking of getting this one in a 20 for forest grouse, mostly ruffies. Bargain gun or -get-what-you-pay-for troublemaker?

I've loved my 512, although it hasn't been without its issues. Mostly cosmetic stuff like the wrap that goes around the welds connecting the barrel to the vent rib started to come loose, they just sent me a new barrel. Mine has started getting the nasty habit of firing both barrels at the same time every now and again as well.

Long story short I would buy another one as a straight hunting rig, but I'd consider spending more if it's going to be a crossover between competition/serious fun clay shooting (like a game or 2 every weekend for years on end)

I have a 555 enhanced in 20 ga. I like the gun, reliable, very light, good wood for the price. Minor fit\finish issues, but they don't bother me. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

With doubles, you get what you pay for.

Look at some used guns or if you want new, check out the Franchi Instinct, any of the CZ's or find some used doubles. You'd be surprised what you can get under $1K.

This CZ Canvasback 20 has performed flawlessly for many years. Recent iteration is the "Drake" - good reviews, but weighs 6.5 lbs, minor(?) issue. The 555 is listed as a pound lighter, has great reviews including mrsm282's (his enhanced is a couple hundred $$ more than the plain jane)....
probably can't go wrong with either.
Some really good deals out there on used English doubles, if you search around.
I've got 2 cheapo CZ's and a Lanber. All three on the lower end of a double snob's want lists, but all have treated me well. None are cool though as my Browning nor my Benelli AND shotgun discussions are way more cool than 6.5 manbun thrashings. I digress on both counts...
bbirds (2).jpg
public land blues.......

Last edited:
Get what you pay for. Virtually all doubles under $1k are made in Turkey(or somewhere similar). I've not owned a Stevens, but I've owned 2 other cheap doubles. They both had problems. I would consider a Franchi or CZ if you're more budget minded.

I have one in 12 ga. I wanted a O/U to hunt with (I am rough on guns) that I wouldn't care if it got all scratched up. Don't expect quality. Also the screw that holds the forearm latch mechanism stripped out.

My brother and I do quite a bit of wing shooting and when we saw the Stevens 555 on sale we snatched a couple. Like others have said, fit and finish isn't great, the wood is very soft and dents/scratches very easily. The main complaint though is there is not nearly enough drop in the stock and neither of us can get our heads low enough to obtain the right sight picture. Jamming your face into the stock really beats up your cheek bone after a day of shooting. Mine also has a loose bottom firing pin that will slightly dent the bottom primer when the top barrel is fired with heavy 3" pheasant rounds. Luckily, it has only fired both barrels simultaneously once, but both the rooster and I took quite a beating on that one.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back