Caribou Gear

Hello from Jones in Colorado

Jones

Well I'm not really sure where to start but I grew up in Utah hunting Elk and Deer with my dad, mom and uncle. After college I moved to Virginia Beach then Atlanta and didn't hunt for over 10 years. I moved to Northern Colorado in September of 2015 as I wanted to raise my family in an area where I could teach them to enjoy the outdoors hunting, fishing and camping. I have three girls and my oldest turned 12 this year so it will be her 1st hunt where she has a tag. I am looking forward to this time I will have with my girls teaching them to hunt and I'm hoping that this first experience will be a great one. Last year I purchased an over the counter Elk tag for area 19 but I didn't see any elk in area 19 during the entire hunt. This year I put in for the draw for rifle Elk and Deer for myself and my daughter for area 20 as my 2nd choice but I didn't draw out however my daughter drew out for antler deer 3rd rifle season. I would love to find a land owner close to Longmont, Berthoud, Loveland that would allow us to hunt but I'm not sure how to go about this. I am also looking at maps on Onxmaps trying to figure out how to plan this hunt but I'm finding if difficult to figure out where the access roads are for public hunting areas. I'm hoping that I might be able to get some advice from more experienced hunters that will help me to make this hunt a great experience for my daughter on her 1st hunt.

Hey Jones - Can’t help you with the land owner piece...but for what it’s worth I just went through the same learning process in CO. What ended up turning some tags into actual chops was the ranching for wildlife program. If you are willing to start by hunting antlerless...these hunts can be easily drawn with little to no preference points and in my experiences the ranches were full of game. My wife took her first elk on a RFW tag and honestly it was the best hunt I’ve ever been on. Just something to consider...

What ended up turning some tags into actual chops was the ranching for wildlife program. If you are willing to start by hunting antlerless...these hunts can be easily drawn with little to no preference points and in my experiences the ranches were full of game.

In it's current incarnation - with a few exceptions - I think Youth antlerless is the absolute best use of RFW.

Welcome, Jones!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back