Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Deer Hunt GMU 20 Colorado

Jones

I'm new to hunting in Colorado as I moved here about 3 years ago and this year I'm taking my 12 year old daughter hunting. We have a permit for antler 3rd rifle season for my daughter only. I'm looking at maps and trying to figure out where to take her but it looks a little complicated with all the private land. Does anyone have any advice where I should hunt in GMU 20?

Area 20 is very complicated by the checkerboard of private lands. It's made worse because Boulder City and County mountain properties are all closed to hunting, and the county has vast holdings that it has acquired (stolen) by excess taxation and forced "conservation" easements under the open space program.

My advice is to use good maps that clearly shows private and county lands (OnX), find the USFS and BLM lands and explore them before season. By 3rd season, and with snow at higher elevation, many deer will have moved lower in elevation. Hunt the ridges and high slopes, not so much the valleys. In this drought, deer will seek water later in the afternoon into the evening. You might be able to spot them as they move down side canyons to water.

Check NW of Masonville on Buckhorn Rd. Use Storm Mountain Rd to gain access to the National Forest. you will need a 4x4. i hunted muzzle loader there in the past. i saw bucks, but could never get close enough. there weren't alot of hunters during muzzle loader but i would expect it to be crowded in 3rd season.

I live in unit 20 and landowners are less than forgiving if they catch you on private which there is a ton of but it can be hunted successfully with persistence. Gutter is right the northern part of the unit has better public and seems to be less bunny huggers.

Back