MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Remington Brass

OhHeyThereBen

Hey guys,

I've been reloading for a buddy who gave me a bunch of Remington brass to reload for him. Has anyone else noticed that it's much harder than other brands of brass? It seems that trimming and chamfering takes a lot more effort than the Winchester and Federal brass that I've used. I noticed this with my 9mm brass as well. Think this will result in long term problems with the brass? Or should I just keep on reloading the Remington for him?

Thanks,
Ben

Remington brass is a bit harder but not a problem at all and IMO better than Win or Federal. Keep you loads under max and you should be fine. I would anneal it after every few firings depending on the cartridge you’re loading for.

Remington brass is a bit harder but not a problem at all and IMO better than Win or Federal. Keep you loads under max and you should be fine. I would anneal it after every few firings depending on the cartridge you’re loading for.

This. I like RP brass & use it in most of my bolt action hunting rifles.

Thanks guys. I think my main problem is my chamfer tool. Right now I'm just using the one that came with the Lee kit and it pretty much sucks. I think it's probably time to pony up for a decent Lyman one.

How do you guys anneal your brass? I've seen a bunch of Youtubers that use a blow torch and a bucket of water, but I can't imagine that's very precise. However, I don't see myself buying an annealer anytime in the near future. Just toss the brass after a few firings?

If you’re gonna buy a new chamfer tool I’d buy the VLD chamfer tool. Works way better than a regular tool and works for all bullets well.

You can use a socket on a drill and torch if you don’t want to buy an anneal tool. Depending on the cartridge you can get a decent amount of firings before it’s hardened and really affecting accuracy.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/628405/frankford-arsenal-platinum-series-case-prep-and-trim-center
Got one of these a few years ago for bulk processing 5.56 brass (trim, chamfer, deburr, and primer crimp removal in one spot) though I imagine you may not need it.

A new sharp chamfer tool may not hurt thought

I've seen those and they look sweet. Right now the drill chuck and trimming tool from Lee is working great. Just need a better method to chamfer.

As always, I greatly appreciate the input.

I have used the candle method of annealing for years. I tried a # of other methods but found the candle easy and effective.

I've done the blowtorch in the pan method. It takes some practice so you don't over-anneal, but it's the cheapest way to do it.

The case prep centers are worth the expense. Especially if you're reloading large batches or multiple firearms. I'd add a case trimmer and a neck turner as well, if you really want to squeeze extra life & accuracy out of your cases.

Hand chamfering, deburring & primer pocket cleaning on 250 pieces of bottleneck rifle cartridges is a PITA without these things.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back