Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Is this a weird year for elk?

HCPT

(PSA this is my first post on Hunt Talk Forums...I've been listening to Newberg for about six months now and new to the party!!)

I am hunting southern Idaho OTC. This is just my second year hunting archery elk so don't have a lot of experience with elk this time of year. I have been going up pretty regularly (2-3x/week). I haven't seen nor heard a bull in about 10 days. I keep getting into groups of cows so I am where elk are, but no bulls. So my questions:

1. Is this just an abnormal year with it being so hot and dry and cows aren't cycling yet?

2. Is this pattern localized to this area I am at or are folks experiencing the same issue?

3. Any strategies/tips for these conditions?

I look forward to hearing your replies and getting to know you folks here on Hunt Talk

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I heard Randy say cows mainly come into estrus based on the amount of daylight. I'm hunting in Kentucky, and that has been my experience here. He says the rut usually lasts mid September to early October. I'm just waiting patiently for it to kick into high gear.

As far as tips, I honestly have none. This is my first year elk hunting haha. I've just been going out look for good sign to narrow it down to a few areas. I'm also looking for food sources that are as far away from people as possible. Which is quite a task here in KY. Seems like there's a house or a road around every corner.

By your response do you mean "Welcome Aboard" to how this year is going; or "Welcome Aboard" to public land OTC elk hunting in general?

The rut is a but later this year, but judging from the animals others have heard talking and the elk I've see taken, I'd say its right on track. I've missed 4 opportunities and had some uncharacteristic hunting pressure push elk out, otherwise its been above normal elk interaction.

September can be hot and dry, so I'd say it's not a weird year. Quite normal actually.

My friends and relatives just got done hunting SE Idaho for the past two weeks and no bulls were talking. They were able to call in 2 raghorns and harvest them, but they came in silent. Last year the same area and the same dates it was the exact opposite with weather and bugling activity. Good luck the rest of the season.

For what its worth I'll give you my observations.
First, picture a single large mountain. Lets say that this mountain has 10 finger creek drainages and 5 herds of elk.
Now people typically picture each herd of elk having bulls in September. I don't think this is true until the majority of the cows cycle in the peak. I believe that during the pre rut you will have a random early cow coming into estrus here and there. Let's say she is in the 3rd creek draw. Now every bull on the mountain will be in there having a rutfest trying to breed her.
Those bulls will find the hot cow.
The other draws will be crickets
I believe the same happens when cows cycle a second time in late October.

Thanks everyone for the "welcomes" and for all the input. The info yall are sharing is confirming a lot of what I was thinking. My experience last year was bulls rolling at the first of September, so I haven't been sure if it was just me needing to be patient or switch things up completely. What I'm getting from most of you is keep being patient and stick with where the cows are knowing that at some point the cows will come into estrus.

Just got back from my first archery elk hunt here in CO. I got into a fair amount of bugling but only the cows were up and grazing during light. The bugling was all coming from thick timber and no amount of calling (from me) could get them to budge only respond. I would of been happy to take a cow but couldn't make it happen.

I don't see anything abnormal about the normal hunting scenario spoken of here. Carry on and keep hunting. Hunt dark to dark. Don't give up. Ever. The elk are waiting for you.

For what its worth, heard bulls bugling last friday and saturday at day break and dusk in two spots 40 miles apart in the central mtns.

Anymore it's always hot temps in Idaho in Sept. Can't remember the last time we actually had a cool Sept. Been here for 60 years and I think I know the climate at least in the south half of the state.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back