Shotgun shell reloading

Kybowhunter64

Im planning on starting to reload shotgun shells, Steel shot. Me my older brother and nephew all duck hunt an all shoot 12ga. Ive been wanting to start reloading out steel shot shells for a while now. What press an other tools would you fellas recommened? Id really appreciate it!

The two I see most commonly recommended for beginners are: (1) The cheap (and seemingly cheesy) but by most accounts very effective Lee Precision Shotshell Load All II Reloading Press; and (2) the much higher build quality (but not necessarily more effective) and next price point up MEC 600 Jr. Mark 5 Single Stage Shotshell Press.

Last edited:
You are about 6 months late, I had my ponsness Warren single stage I had set up for steel shot on here, ended up selling it locally but took forever. Ponsness Warren's are hands down the best shotshell reloaders on the market. You can find used duomatics (the single stage like mine) for sale used for pretty cheap occasionally, they are pricey new. I will warn you, reloading steel is a pain in the ass. The powder flake is too big to drop reliably so those are all measured individually. Same with shot, too big, I used primer trays that were taped off for the correct number of pellets, that worked good. Precision reloading out of south Dakota has the best deals on components and they have the best manual as well.

Reloading steel shot is hardly worth it. Did you match things out for that?

The math really doesn't work out on reloading shotgun shells...possibly the super pricey high density stuff or specialty shells like slugs but not for steel shot. I am going to dabble in slugs using Ballistic Product Inc's gear but slugs don't require much besides a small shell vise and a roll crimper.

Rogers Sporting Goods has rebates and sales all the time...they just had Winchester Blindside ammo on sale for $100/case after a $50 rebate. I got 2 cases of Remington Nitro Steel last fall for like $70/case plus I got a hoodie. That's on par with Winchester AA target loads

EDIT: there are some guys loading super fast and light loads that do have some appeal. You'd have to search over on the DuckHuntingChat Forum (if that is still even a thing) because the load books can be hard to find.

Last edited:
Im planning on loading some TSS as an some of the other more expensive shells. After thinkin about it i would rather start loading my own turkey loads for now. But i appreciate yall fellas

Are you considering 3.5" shells? The Lee loader doesn't do 3.5" but Mec has a 3.5" press. If you go with the standard press, I strongly suggest getting the Mec PowerRing Collet sizer to resize your shells especially if using shells fired in someone else's gun.

I've also been told that it's best that you weigh each shot charge for the specialty loads especially stuff like TSS, Bismuth, Tungsten, etc.

The math really doesn't work out on reloading shotgun shells...possibly the super pricey high density stuff or specialty shells like slugs but not for steel shot.

I am looking into so that I can have the weight and velocity I choose for non-steel, non-lead shot. The various tungsten, bismuth, etc. options come in very limited load weights and velocities in my neck of the woods, so I would be willing to spend a little more to have the shells I want, rather than the ones the store chooses to sell. A little like my reloading for rifle, there is no way I am saving $$ but I really like having the bullet I want, at the weight I want, at the velocity I want, with a seating depth my gun likes.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back