First Elk - Pics

grizzly_

I always wanted to go on one of the old time backcountry horseback elk hunts. I don't know why, it was just always a dream of mine... it must be from reading all my grandpa's old hunting magazines while I was growing up. There is something really special to me about grizzly country, horses, wall tents, and screaming bulls. I spent a long time and saved up my Wyoming points and decided that this was the year to finally go on the hunt. The guy that took us in told us the bulls were better in the late season but I wanted to hunt them with a bow during the rut. I couldn't be happier with how it went down.

HT was great with helping me on going to heavier arrows. I appreciate the advice as the bull was shot at about 13 yards and literally was knocked off its feet when it was hit, something I've never seen with an arrow. The bull ran to 78 yards and stopped and I hit him again, he walked another 30 yards down the hill and was done within sight. We had a sow grizzly and two cubs at 60 yards just a few minutes before we got the bull which just made the adrenaline rush that much better. Good luck to everybody else this year!

The pack in...
1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
The hunt...
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
The pack out...
9.jpg

It looks like it was an awesome trip! Congratulations on the dandy bull!

Every big game hunter needs to do that at least once in their life. We did that for Muleys in Nevada in the Jarbidge Wilderness. Congrats on a great hunt.

Looks like an amazing experience. I agree every hunter should do it at least once. I'd get over my fear of horses for an experience like that. Way to go on a stud bull!

Man, what a cool deal. That looks like neat country—the pictures are beautiful. Congratulations to you.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back