CO Unit 54 Second Season

czappi45

Hi All,

I am a long time deer hunter but first time elk hunter, a group of us are headed out to unit 54 in the second rifle season with Eagle Mountain, a drop camp outfitter.
We have all been doing as much research as we can, reading the forum here and listening to podcasts to try and gain as much elk knowledge as possible and come up with a plan on our ONX maps.

I just wanted to send out some feelers to everyone and see if there is any information anyone would have for some first time elk hunters coming out to this area? Not saying i want anyone's honey holes or anything and from what iv researched it looks like we may be in some pretty good areas in there.

Tips im looking for could be anything from finding elk in second season to even little helpful tips to make life better in a drop camp for 8 days.

thanks!

You're in a drop camp, so make sure to take as many comforts as the pack train will allow!

I'm sure you're outfitter has let you know that getting all the way to that camp on FR 721 is pretty rugged. There is a place known as 'jeep hill' that will certainly require 4 lo and if there is any moisture it would be a good idea to have chains. I'll be down there for 1st rifle and I'll try to remember to report back on how the hunt went. The country is quintessential elk country. Steep, grassy hillsides with some really nasty dark timber. I'd say be ready to glass a lot of places and try to keep your mind in the game. Just when you think you're hunt is over is when all your luck can change. For 8 days, I'd bring as much as you can! Book, cot, pillow, etc.

I hunted 3rd season in 54 a few years ago. There were elk there but we had a lot of competition for them. Being dropped you’ll likely have a better chance. Ask the outfitter a lot of questions, they should have a good bit of info for you having packed out the 1st season hunters already. Good luck on your hunt! I’ll be north of you in 444 same season!

Thanks for the help guys, id love to hear back on how your trip goes out there as well!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back