Bino mount for tripod

Well after reading through this thread and checking various links. Thanks guys, it would seem the Outdoorsman get's a thumbs up from many and bogpod for a strap type serve well. Also, the really cheap all metal versions at the very least could serve as a great spare and in all honesty could be all you need like a disposable bic. Excellent thread.

I recently purchased a Outdoorsman as well and was impressed with the quality. At twice the price of other options I expected a lot from it but was glad I spent the money when it arrived.

I have the Vortex one linked to earlier in the thread. It works great for me, and by just pushing it to the side, my binos fit just fine in my harness. I like being able to pull them out and slide them right on to my tripod.

The outdoorsmans tripod adapter is the best and simplest I have found. Rock solid too. Oh and be sure to get the correct stud for mounting.

https://outdoorsmans.com/collections/tripod-accessories/products/outdoorsmans-binocular-adapter

How's this working?
I watched the video, linked below and it looks pretty good. I have the 10x50 Vortex binos. Seems a pretty universal type thread replacement for the adapter...(?) (Edit, recent post answered. Thanks)

I'm curious though, packing this setup, a tripod, etc... Does this really hold that valuable an advantage over the basic use of binos? I.e.; elbows on knees, on pack, on a trek pole, my common use for keeping the binos still.
I've stopped packing my spotting scope unless it's a short trek.
I imagine it's preference and it seems it slows down the glassing process thus permits more opportunity to spot game that may otherwise be passed over.
Do you (and others) still pack and use as frequently?

How's this working?
I watched the video, linked below and it looks pretty good. I have the 10x50 Vortex binos. Seems a pretty universal type thread replacement for the adapter...(?) (Edit, recent post answered. Thanks)

I'm curious though, packing this setup, a tripod, etc... Does this really hold that valuable an advantage over the basic use of binos? I.e.; elbows on knees, on pack, on a trek pole, my common use for keeping the binos still.
I imagine it's preference and it seems it slows down the glassing process thus permits more opportunity to spot game that may otherwise be passed over.

I can only speak to my experience, but after using the Vortex unidaptor for my binos the last two years I will never go back. I'm not sure I actually see more animals putting my binos on a tripod, but my neck sure thanks me.

Do you (and others) still pack and use frequently?
To answer your second question, yes, every time I have my hunting pack on even if just hiking my tripod and binos with adapter are in there. For hunting, there have been numerous animals that I would not have seen without the stability of a tripod. My dads antelope in 2017 and mine in 2018 are examples where we found those animals almost literally around other people without a tripod glassing the same area.

Tripod also helps significantly for judging trophy quality. My last antelope buck I would never have seen his long ivory tips without the extra stability, but it helps with all animals.

The other thing tripods help with is fatigue and this is one of the biggest factors. If I set up comfortably and have my binos on a tripod I can glass for hours and sometimes nearly all day, not something I could do just holding them.

Lastly, after a kill, I carry an extra mounting base that I put my camera on and attach my camera to the tripod for pics which has been a huge help for getting better pictures in the field.

Maybe that helps explain why tripods are a step change in how I hunt?

To really pick apart country it's not even comparable. I've found ears, deer backs, tines, etc. that I passed right over on the first look before sitting down for a good glassing session.

Looked right past this buck several times. We sat down and poured over things w/ a tripod and caught the sun on his back. The habitat was too good not to hold something, and sure enough it did. He later come out on my BIL's back.

It took me a long time to get around to trying the Outdoorsman's, but I do like it.

The tripod gets lashed to the pack in a way that you can take it off 100 times a day and have your binos attached in no time with the Outdoorsman. I rarely use my spotter now due to the bino/tripod combo being so good. I can't see squat without my binos on a tripod, its night and day

Outdoorsman. It is worth every penny. I've tried a lot and I can't believe I wasted so much time and money. Just get an Outdoorsmans and do yourself the favor. Of course, this requires you buy a tripod head or adapter from them and drives up the cost even further. But their tripod heads are also worth every penny. That's my recommendation.

If you really can't afford it, try the Field Optics Research which has some nice features: Manfrotto plate adapter, quick release, and somewhat adjustable release tension. But it pales in comparison.

Back