Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Onx Maps - Double Charged, NO FIX

Irrelevant

I've had onx maps for a few years now for Washington and love it. I never use any of the promo codes as I feel I'm getting enough value out of the list price and they do a lot to support conservation and conservation groups. I upgraded to the 50-state package this summer as I'm hunting WY this year. I just got hit with another fee for the single-state annual renewal through Google play. I had no idea that if you buy the app through Google play it sets you up with an automatic subscription. I tried to contact Onx to explain what happened and get a refund for the single-state, they said they can't refund through purchases through third parties but provided direction for getting a refund through Google. But you can only do that for 48-hrs after the purchase (renewal) and I didn't catch it in time. Now I'm simple out the money and Onx says they can't do anything about it, which I think is total BS.

I used to think they has some pretty sweet customer service but this really chaps me. It's not so much the money as it is the complete inability to right a obvious wrong. It shouldn't be that hard.

I guess if there's any lesson's learned it's to not use Google Play to interface with the App.

And if anyone has any suggestions for a comparable software let me know. I'm not looking to continue with Onx after this year.

Bad luck. Hate they weren't able or chose not to help. However, frustrations aside, I don't think you will find an app that does what ONX does as well as it does. I used HuntStand and before that I used the Cabelas branded product.

Thanks for the heads up. I purchased single state in April through Google Play, but just a couple days ago I purchased Elite directly through OnX. I went into Google Play just now and canceled my auto-renewal. Easy enough.

Last edited:
I am amazed that they don't "make it right" for an existing repeat customer - especially when serving a niche market with fairly educated consumers. Seems like business common sense is not always so common.

I wouldn't give up on them because of this.... I understand where they can't be responsible for googleplay's automatic renewals.

When I first bought the software years ago I bought the wrong one, I wanted the one compatible with the phone(cant remember what I accidentally bought) and they swapped me out with no charge.

Sorry for your bad experience.

I run a sales team and this is an easy call for me. Refund. At most, OnX is out the commission to Google and that is made up if you had bought the 50-state direct from OnX. I fix things all the time where I am not 100% at fault. OnX is not at fault here if Google prompted you for a recurring charge a year ago and you clicked "accept." For me, an easy decision since I would rather be good as a vendor than right.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience but I've always had great customer service. I bought a single state (yearly plan) on the computer and then a multi state (monthly plan) in the app. About 8 months later I called to see when my renewal was happening and I wanted to know how to cancel the auto renewal for the single state, while keeping the multi state. I also needed to switch the monthly multi state over to a yearly plan, without losing any of my way points. The guy realized I had over paid and he offered me a free year of multi state. I was completely surprised and thankful. Again I think they have great customer service and could extend you a similar deal. You may call and try again, sometimes it helps to get different person.

Last edited:
Tubb, good call, I tried back and this time the gentleman was very nice and offered to add another 6-month to my elite membership. To me that's a very reasonable trade. I just don't understand why it took two attempts to get it.

Back