Electronic calls legal for bear in MT

Twolftg

I am a little confused on the regulations if anyone is familiar. Within the bear regs it says this...

Recorded Animal Sounds
It is unlawful to use any recorded or electrically
amplified bird or animal calls or sounds or imitations
of bird or animal calls or sounds to assist in the
hunting, taking, killing or capturing of any wildlife
except predatory animals, wolves, and those birds
not protected by State or Federal law.

A bear is definitely a predatory animal, but it seems odd to have this in the regulations if it's ok. Is it just part of the standard pages they include in every regualtion booklet?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180918-010935_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180918-010935_Gallery.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 173
Definitely poor wording, but they are considered “game animals” not predators in the definitions of the statutes.

It is a bit confusing. In the bear regs, it states that predators are classified as coyotes, striped skunks, spotted skunks, and weasels. Electronic calls are not legal for bears in Montana.

It is a bit confusing. In the bear regs, it states that predators are classified as coyotes, striped skunks, spotted skunks, and weasels. Electronic calls are not legal for bears in Montana.

This. Bears are classified game animals, not predators.

Yeah its defiantly not worded right but i know some people who have electronically called and not get in trouble, but at the same time I wouldn't dare try it.

Yep to what everyone else is saying. I called the FWP last year just to clarify and it is most certainly not legal.

Yeah its defiantly not worded right but i know some people who have electronically called and not get in trouble, but at the same time I wouldn't dare try it.

Why do you think it is not worded right? What is confusing about the regulation? Please explain your reasoning.

Thanks,

ClearCreek

Montana considers bear as a game animal and has regulations for them , the predators referred to in the regs do not have any Montana regulations.

They specifically added wolfs to the list , originally (several years ago) you couldn't use a electronic
call for wolfs and they are predators .

Anyway as said above it is not legal to use a electronic call for bears.

Montana considers bear as a game animal and has regulations for them , the predators referred to in the regs do not have any Montana regulations.

They specifically added wolfs to the list , originally (several years ago) you couldn't use a electronic
call for wolfs and they are predators .

Anyway as said above it is not legal to use a electronic call for bears.

This is the correct answer. In Mt. Black Bears are considered a game animal.

Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back