Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Pronghorn - CO Walk-in Areas - Are they worth it?

BrokenArrow

Hey everyone, I am just writing to ask about CO walk-in areas for antelope hunting.

I know there is quite a bit of grassland to access and hunt, but in GMU's with little to no grassland there are small parcels of private land available for walk-in hunting by the public. This is a part of the CPW management system.

The big questions are:
-Do they actually hold any antelope, when compared to the larger landscape of the grasslands?
-Are they more for bird hunting because of their size?
-Is the management plan working well with the CPW?
-I usually like to trade a landowner a day of work or two for access to land. Everybody wins that way. Do landowners benefit more through walk-ins?
-I have never paid a trespass fee, but is a person better off that way?

These questions are partially selfish. I have a muzzy hunt starting this weekend around Kim, CO (SE CO). I am pretty sure I won't tag out unless I get really lucky. The trip this year is more for scouting purposes and planning for the future.
I'm really just curious about the future of hunting and land management. Really, are the current systems working? I wish I was rich enough to buy large acreage out there and just start a "wild" antelope farm for all to share. I guess that's what the grasslands are for.

Any opinions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, JW

Last edited:
Haven't been to any of the Walk ins down that way, but they vary in value by location.

Personally I haven't used a walkin for big game, just birds.
I'll be paying a trespass for my antelope hunt, but for selfish reasons. It will be nice to hunt 20min from home.

I wouldn't waste time with the walk in area near Kim. I've never seen an antelope on it. . Stick to the grasslands around that area. I'll be down there as well. Good luck

Damn, you live in SW Co, and trekking to 143,44,45? That's gotta be a haul.

Thanks Ya'll.

And yes, it's a drive but I distance twice or more than that in a day for work sometimes. Getting out all that way just means i get to catch up on Mr. Newbergs Podcasts that I've missed.
I usually hunt the san luis valley units for lopes. It takes a few points to draw. So i fill in the odd years with wyoming archery seasons. Believe it or not, this is the first time i will ever hunt eastern CO plains. I hope to tag out. But, I really just like learning new spots.
I am sure folks will tell me that this hunt won't top Wyoming by any means, but I bet it will still be fun. And I will stick to the plains.

It will be fun. Lopes are far from plentiful out there, but they're there. Haven't seen anything over 13", so don't hesitate on any decent buck you find if you have a buck tag. Where are you camping? Maybe we'll bump into each other

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back