Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

.410 side arm for bear

because . . . . .

I am not familiar with marine flares but, my first thought is how long does it take to get a flare burning? Would you carry them on your belt or somehow on your chest for easy access? If it would take longer than a couple seconds to get one ready and burning, you may be out of luck.

I would think the potential of starting a wildfire would be a great concern. During the fall the forests are typically dry and fire danger is likely going to be high. If you were wounded by the bear and were not real mobile, the fire you may start may be what kills you.

Seems like there are other options that are much, much better.

ClearCreek

i think the flare idea is as stupid as they come.

:d...………..

It would be cool to have one's name gracing one of those this-or-that fire t-shirts, of course there are the associated costs.

of course, that would be the one and only downside to this choice of a "deterrent"...…….

Last edited:
Most of the 410 pistols I've seen also accepted 45 LC which would be a much better option than the 410 IMO.

If you want some entertainment this video shows some of the biggest pistols and how bad they kick.
[video=youtube;mTSb58GIEvQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTSb58GIEvQ&t=516s[/video]

I am not familiar with marine flares but, my first thought is how long does it take to get a flare burning? Would you carry them on your belt or somehow on your chest for easy access? If it would take longer than a couple seconds to get one ready and burning, you may be out of luck.

I would think the potential of starting a wildfire would be a great concern. During the fall the forests are typically dry and fire danger is likely going to be high. If you were wounded by the bear and were not real mobile, the fire you may start may be what kills you.

Seems like there are other options that are much, much better.

ClearCreek

I would guess with minor practice time to use would be similar to pepper spray, but dry forest fire hazard would be a big concern.

Ballistics of a 410 slug.

s
Hight Velocity:1827fps
Average velocity: 1817fps
Extreme Spreed:17.75
Std. Deviation:6.32
Manufacture Spec: 1830fps
Measure Mass: 96.1gr
Manufacture Spec 1/5oz (87.5gr)
Calculated Muzzle Energy: 704.3ft-lbs

Notes: Very consistent velocity. Also probably the tightest grouping slug fired from my Winchester 9410. This is a 24" barrel, just subtract 20" of barrel and then guess at the velocity and energy.

Not something I would use on a bear.

Now that's packin' heat! Deploy it in your tent!? Deploy it "one-handed"!? Once again, effective aiming is critical, maybe even risky. ... doubtful.

(Would likely start your campfire in a hurry though.) Don't give up your day job ... and don't forget to bring bear spray ... just in case.

I don’t know what’s more terrifying, a 700 lb snarling bear chewing on me, or the idea of being burnt alive while it’s chewing on me.

because . . . . .

1. Extreme fire hazard
2. One more piece of gear to carry
3. Animals don't have the inherent fear of noise, fire, and smoke may perceive them to have. I've witnessed many attempts to haze deer and elk with shotgun pyrotechnic rounds, and they are only marginally effective.
4. Firing a real gun into the ground in front of a bear is limited in its effectiveness. I see no reason why a flare would be more so.
5. The only way I want to attempt to stop a bear attack is by something that will either kill it or render it physically unable to continue the attack. Scaring it is not a viable alternative.

1. Extreme fire hazard
2. One more piece of gear to carry
3. Animals don't have the inherent fear of noise, fire, and smoke may perceive them to have. I've witnessed many attempts to haze deer and elk with shotgun pyrotechnic rounds, and they are only marginally effective.
4. Firing a real gun into the ground in front of a bear is limited in its effectiveness. I see no reason why a flare would be more so.
5. The only way I want to attempt to stop a bear attack is by something that will either kill it or render it physically unable to continue the attack. Scaring it is not a viable alternative.

Good points.

Good points.

It also has some good points.

Would be extremely useful during a night time attack simply to see what was going on, aim spray or weapon, etc...
Would make one hell of a fire starter or signal for an emergency after an attack if people are trying to find you.

I'd say after bear spray, gun, and sat phone/spot device it might be pretty useful to have, especially during a night time attack.

I would think a flashlight would be a better alternative for seeing, but that’s just me.

Planning on a Montana Wyoming elk hunt and wondering what would be a good self defense side arm for bear. Planning on carrying bear spray it thinking a side arm might not be a bad idea for a quick option. Is a .410 revolver sufficient or is it just gonna make things worse. Gonna be on a rifle season hunt so I will be carrying a.300 Win Mag bolt action rifle.

No and as far as I'm concerned they are not the best for SD either.

Buckshot out of such a short barrel gets very limited penetration. Buckshot is designed for long barrels.

Same goes for common rifled slugs which expand surprisingly rapidly. Of course the one thing you have going for you is with the super low velocity it might hold together. Go for the brain I guess.

It also has some good points.

Would be extremely useful during a night time attack simply to see what was going on, aim spray or weapon, etc...
Would make one hell of a fire starter or signal for an emergency after an attack if people are trying to find you.

I'd say after bear spray, gun, and sat phone/spot device it might be pretty useful to have, especially during a night time attack.
Seriously Bro, who have you been dating, Rose McGowan?

I (we) Need Real - Drake White

Seriously Bro, who have you been dating, Rose McGowan?

I (we) Need Real - Drake White

I shared my opinion after watching the video. If you disagree that is fine but save the Rose dating personal chatter for someone else.
\
If you have never set one of those off at night you would be amazed. It's like turning on the lights outdoors.

Did you have anything to add on the flares?

Back