MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

6.5 cm hate?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
The only hate toward the Creed and other 6.5s, is by people who don't shoot them. They perform very well on game, are easy to shoot and are very easy to find a good load for-including factory. I have always used 7 mags, .308s, 30-06 etc. to hunt with, but I have become a real fan of my .260 and 6.5 Creed. I have killed, or seen killed, at least 40 deer and a handful of antelope with my 6.5s, all with stellar results. With the appropriate bullet, they are fine for elk, too, as has been proven many times. I will still use my 7 mags, for that, however, as I believe in using a bit more punch for the big stuff.

I wouldn't say I hate any cartridge, but it seems redundant, just as the 7mm-08 seems redundant, etc. Most of these newer cartridges are rediscovering of older ballistics achieved with European cartridges from the turn of the previous century, just in a slightly shorter case. Like the 8mm Remington magnum versus the 8x64 Brenneke, etc. Hell, there was even a 7x64 that mimics the 7mm mag.

Variety is the spice of life, and letting your give-a-shitter get broken every so often helps keep you centered, I find.

Shoot what you want, ignore the haters or give it back in kind.

Yep. The 8x60, 9x57, etc all have American counter parts that slighlty underperform when both are loaded to their actual potential.

The 6.5x55 Swede can do everything the creedmoor can, and has been doing it for close to a century including moose and brown bear. It's just a few millimeters longer. It goes back to the original concept behind smokeless powder: increased velocity combined with better sectional density in smaller bullets equals greater penetration and kinetic energy dumping.

Haters on both sides.

In all seriousness hunters are no better than teenage girls when it comes to fads. From matching camo outfits down to underwear/panties to brands of gear and calibers of guns it's just out of control. Hunters are even worse about buying gear just because someone on TV wears it as well. Any of these popular hunters could sell dopy hunters any brand they want of boots/bows/guns/trucks/optics simply by saying they like it and posting on social media. I recently even saw a social media post with a hunter selling tires. No different than teenage girls and boy bands.

A few long range shows start showing off the 6.5 apollo creed and next thing you know they can't keep them on the shelves at bass pro. Half the hunters hate them, half swear by them. Yep, just like teenage girls keeping up with the kardashians.

Remember when nobody painted their face except maybe Haloween? Now they check makeup several times a day while hunting, just like teenage girls.

Notice how many selfies we see on social media from hunters? Again, just like teenage girls.

While I will be sporting First Lite camo this fall in WY so irony/hypocrisy of this reply is full noted, I have to agree about the crazy marketing emphasis in general -- that is why my favorite game shots on this forum are the ones where the shooter is in blue jeans and a basic t-shirt. Millions of animals have made it from field to table with denim and an old 30-30 lever action.

I do not have an issue with the 6.5 cm. I even thought about buying one but I already own a 7-08. My issue is with the newer hunters buying the 6.5 cm and then telling me that is their long range gun for big game. When I say long range I am talking about over 500 yards. I get told that it is capable of taking big game at 700 yards. I argue that it is a 400 yard gun at best and "if" you think you can shoot game at beyond 500 then there are way better choices. Now if you don't care about the remaining energy levels at over 500 yards then I guess they shoot great on targets.

I have never shot anything over 500 yards except targets so my opinion is based on the ballistics tables.

If it's a plain old resistance to the latest and greatest "fads", then by that same mentality you guys should resist the vortex take over as well! All the same claims can be said about vortex. Everywhere you look the vortex logo is there. In the end, I don't give a s*** what people think about what I use. I am just curious as to why the hate?

I do not have an issue with the 6.5 cm. I even thought about buying one but I already own a 7-08. My issue is with the newer hunters buying the 6.5 cm and then telling me that is their long range gun for big game. When I say long range I am talking about over 500 yards. I get told that it is capable of taking big game at 700 yards. I argue that it is a 400 yard gun at best and "if" you think you can shoot game at beyond 500 then there are way better choices. Now if you don't care about the remaining energy levels at over 500 yards then I guess they shoot great on targets.

I have never shot anything over 500 yards except targets so my opinion is based on the ballistics tables.

I agree 400 yds is my personal cutoff. I hate wounding animals. I'd rather have a clean miss!

If it's a plain old resistance to the latest and greatest "fads", then by that same mentality you guys should resist the vortex take over as well! All the same claims can be said about vortex. Everywhere you look the vortex logo is there. In the end, I don't give a s*** what people think about what I use. I am just curious as to why the hate?

Mainly, I think it's tribalism and the desire to either be a part of some perceived community or to eschew that community in favor of our own, presupposed identities. It's no different than sports teams and fandom. Vortex, Kuiu, First Lite, Sitka, Defiance Machine, etc are all symbols of not only our ability a hunters, but our ability to be perceived as something marketing tells us we should be - wilderness athletes, etc.

There is a real human need to be part of a tribe, a collective or a community: the herd mentality. It's why we went from nomadic single family groups of hunters to clusters of individual family units living in huts, harvesting wild grains and training animals to be companions, building larger structures and ultimately forming city-states and villages.

Then there were those who stood outside the gates, in their loin clothes & telling everyone how the new-fangled bow and arrow will never replace the spear, because the arrow is just a little bit shorter than the spear, but the spear has a much better sectional density and wound channel for clean kills.

Ben, speaking of old euro calibers I would love to get my hands on a 6.5×54mm Mannlicher–Schönauer. I have always wanted to get one load it with 160 grn bullets and chase moose.

The 6.5 was one of the more popular elephant guns at the turn of the century, so the 6.5 love has been around for more than 100 years. Walter Bell killed over 300 with the 6.5 mannlicher.

Mainly, I think it's tribalism and the desire to either be a part of some perceived community or to eschew that community in favor of our own, presupposed identities. It's no different than sports teams and fandom. Vortex, Kuiu, First Lite, Sitka, Defiance Machine, etc are all symbols of not only our ability a hunters, but our ability to be perceived as something marketing tells us we should be - wilderness athletes, etc.

There is a real human need to be part of a tribe, a collective or a community: the herd mentality. It's why we went from nomadic single family groups of hunters to clusters of individual family units living in huts, harvesting wild grains and training animals to be companions, building larger structures and ultimately forming city-states and villages.

Then there were those who stood outside the gates, in their loin clothes & telling everyone how the new-fangled bow and arrow will never replace the spear, because the arrow is just a little bit shorter than the spear, but the spear has a much better sectional density and wound channel for clean kills.

Well said.

Ben, speaking of old euro calibers I would love to get my hands on a 6.5×54mm Mannlicher–Schönauer. I have always wanted to get one load it with 160 grn bullets and chase moose.

The 6.5 was one of the more popular elephant guns at the turn of the century, so the 6.5 love has been around for more than 100 years. Walter Bell killed over 300 with the 6.5 mannlicher.

Bell was a helluva shot, but ultimately a poacher.

Those old Mannlichers are one of the slickest actions I've ever seen on a rifle. I have a commission 88 that's similar, and it's butter-smooth.

You are correct, I hate Vortex too.

My hate stems from the fact that none of these fads actually make you a better hunter. If you aren't willing to go where other people don't, suffer like hell when getting in or out of there, and focus on getting as close to your quarry as humanly possible so every shot is a gimme, then no amount of camo, mct oil, or man bun caliber will make a slight bit of difference. Those first 3 things put truly large animals on the ground more than any shiny sticker will ever do.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back