Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

6.5 cm hate?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
Geez Harley, first yoga mats. Now 6.5 ballistics charts. :confused:
Probably better post a pic of your pickup with a lift kit, or something.

I have a confession to make, just picked up my first 6.5..deal I couldn’t resist.. something wrong with the cases though, they seem a little long and fat.. anyone know if a 140 vlds will hold together @ 3400 in a 1-8?

You might get a 137 Hammer to stabilize. A 124 would, and be an absolute lazer. mtmuley

You might get a 137 Hammer to stabilize. A 124 would, and be an absolute lazer. mtmuley

He wasn’t asking about stability. He was asking about mid air blowups. The HVLDs and some Hornady match bullets can come apart in mid air. It happens when the core melts. Long barrels, high rpm and rough throats increase the amount of heat generated due to friction. Thicker jackets insulate the core better. The HVLDs are the original. JLK still uses the same jacket. The target VLDs use a thicker jacket. I haven’t looked up a Hammer. Dropping bullet weight would be worse for the issue he’s concerned about. A 1-8” twist should have no trouble stabilizing any of the bullets mentioned or even most of the heavier options.

He wasn’t asking about stability. He was asking about mid air blowups. The HVLDs and some Hornady match bullets can come apart in mid air. It happens when the core melts. Long barrels, high rpm and rough throats increase the amount of heat generated due to friction. Thicker jackets insulate the core better. The HVLDs are the original. JLK still uses the same jacket. The target VLDs use a thicker jacket. I haven’t looked up a Hammer. Dropping bullet weight would be worse for the issue he’s concerned about. A 1-8” twist should have no trouble stabilizing any of the bullets mentioned or even most of the heavier options.

I understand what he was asking. The bullets I recommended are lathe turned copper. They will hold together at the speeds he mentioned. Only if is if the heavy copper will stabilize. Hence my statement. Thanks for pointing nothing out. mtmuley

I understand what he was asking. The bullets I recommended are lathe turned copper. They will hold together at the speeds he mentioned. Only if is if the heavy copper will stabilize. Hence my statement. Thanks for pointing nothing out. mtmuley

Anytime. I’m always good at pointing out nothing. Your comment wasn’t terribly clear though. You could easily have said “Hammer will hold up to any velocity. A 137 might stabilize, a 124 would stabilize and be an absolute laser”.

Solid copper bullets do tend to really shine at high velocity. I was going to go that direction before I become so satisfied with the Bergers.

I'm not one to write novels. Right to the point has it's benefits. mtmuley

Leaving out the part of the answer that addresses his concern is not “right to the point”, even if the recommendation was sound.

Anytime. I’m always good at pointing out nothing. Your comment wasn’t terribly clear though. You could easily have said “Hammer will hold up to any velocity. A 137 might stabilize, a 124 would stabilize and be an absolute laser”.

Solid copper bullets do tend to really shine at high velocity. I was going to go that direction before I become so satisfied with the Bergers.

I am not terribly bright, but I understood exactly what he was saying.

For a gun shooting that velocity, I wholeheartedly second the recommendation on the hammers. Especially if you can get that heavier bullet to stabilize.

After reading all the post and realizing how anal hunters are im embarrassed to call myself a hunter. Talk about a bunch of old retards

Weight alone is not the primary concern in stabilizing a bullet. A 1:8 twist will barely stabilize a 124 gr Hammer because of the length of the projectile. Below about 700’ elevation it ain’t happening in cooler temps.

Granted most hunting is done well about that elevation, I’d be cautious in going much heavier than a 124 without checking the calcs first.

Weight alone is not the primary concern in stabilizing a bullet. A 1:8 twist will barely stabilize a 124 gr Hammer because of the length of the projectile. Below about 700’ elevation it ain’t happening in cooler temps.

Granted most hunting is done well about that elevation, I’d be cautious in going much heavier than a 124 without checking the calcs first.

The question I was answering wasn’t about stability. Also it was about a specific bullet.

Just like the post you quoted. The original post was not about stability, or Hammers. It was about midair blowups with VLDs. It’s not common, but does happen with VLDs and around 300,000 RPM is where they start to occur. There are a few different variables involved and mid-air blowups can be avoided above 300,000 RPM. Below that level the other variables don’t really play much of a role, and mid-air blowups are pretty much non-existent. With an 8” twist you would have to be launching a bullet at 3334fps to exceed 300,000 RPM. He was asking about 140gr VLDs in particular. It requires quite a bit of cartridge and/or a pretty long barrel to exceed 3334fps with a 140gr 6.5mm VLD. For stability,(which I mentioned in passing, but was not a part of the question I was answering) not only is an 8” twist sufficient for a 140gr VLD(the bullet that was asked about) at sea level in cool weather, at elk altitude it’s sufficient for quite a few bullets that are more difficult to stabilize, even MOST other bullets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back