Colorado OTC, or Wyoming General for 2019?

AtenJones

My 2018 elk season is over, so I’m already thinking ahead to next year. I have 2 pts in wyoming, which will hopefully be enough to draw a general tag. But, Im also considering OTC in colorado again. I know there are exceptions to everything, and there are good and bad spots in both, but in general, which might be the better archery hunt? Will the general tag be that much better than a Colorado OTC? Or would I be better off saving up some more points until I can get into a Limited Entry unit in wyo? I also have a point in Utah and Montana, and will be jumping into AZ and Nevada next year as well, so I should have a good mix of short and long term strategies.

Thanks!

No advice but interested in what guys have to say about this. I would think the experience and knowledge gained from this years trip would outweigh the benefits of a draw tag in a new unknown state

The WY general tag is a WAAAAAY better tag that CO OTC hunts. I refuse to hunt OTC seasons anymore here. Giant orange army quad riding CF.

Wyoming has more elk per hunter than any other state. Colorado has more hunters afield than any other state. Some general areas in WY have success rates on par with decent draw units. Apply for WY general. If you don't draw, hunt in CO.

I agree with more hunters in Colorado, However some guys really have good success there with OTC tags. I had a deer tag one year in a LQ area and and still had more hunters than deer spotted.
Hard choice for a NR but not for us, Wyoming .

I've hunted both and would take the Wyoming tag every time. But since you can't draw that tag every year, Colorado is a great Plan B.

Is Colorado still crazy during archery in the otc units? I am considering a trip to the gunnison area next year.

Oh yeah... I honestly think archery can be the worst season in terms of hunter pressure. The second weekend muzzleloader season, which runs concurrently with archery, I bumped into 4 different groups of archery hunters (this was their 4th weekend of hunting, can't imagine opening day)... 7 miles in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back