Caribou Gear

Montana Recurve Bull

To go into my gear a little more i need to start at the beginning. I hunt with my uncle and my dad and last september after a hunt one of us mentioned how much things have changed with gear and technology over the years. We joked that instead of hunting we looked more like a military assualt team with rangefinders, bino harnesses, gps, ect hanging off our bodies. (I dont have anything at all against this gear and it can be very useful) Anyway this conversation got me thinking about archery hunting a simpler way. I worked with a guy that was a lifelong trad hunter and started asking questions, he helped me pick out a bow. I bought a used Doan its a 60" 53# @ 28". I draw about 31". I am shooting cedar shaft arrows and 185 gr grizzly heads. My bow showed up and i started shooting. I figured out quickly that for me instinctive shooting was what i preffered. Much like throwing a baseball you focus on where you want to hit and your body instinctively does the rest. I shot as much as possible since January and am comfortable to 25 yards. Opening weekend was a little intimidating thinking about shooting an elk with this piece of wood and string, but i have to say there is just something that draws me to it. Im not such a great hunter that i needed to add more of a challenge to archery,for some reason it just appeals to me more to not have sights and gadgets on my bow.

Congrats on that accomplishment and a great bull! I have a friend that makes recurves and he was trying to get me to shoot his and I have to say it wasn't easy!

Pardon me french, but Holy Shit what a Bull!!!! Big Fin just wrote about hunters dreams...
I have em,. You live em....good on ya mate

That is quite the accomplishment in your first year! Congratulations!

Just read back through all these comments, thanks! One thing that stuck out to me is guys that already shoot trad bows acting like its a giant leap into a dark hole to commit to
Hunting with one. I never looked at it like that, my thoughts were i might as well give it a try, worst case i get more days to hunt and more up close encounters. My goal this year was any legal elk with recurve. If youhave one and want to try it give
It a go! I say this without having a 350 bull broadside at 40yds, if that were
The case i dont know if i would have walked out with a smile or my bow would have lived its life where it came
From

Holy smokes, man, well done! I've been seriously considering some primitive tackle for whitetails in my home region of eastern Mn/western WI, but that's still just treestand hunting. Great job, be proud!

Wow! Congrats on getting in so close. To each his own but what you did gets much, much more respect from me than some guy hitting a bull at 1000 yards with a rifle. Reminds me of counting coup since you got so close to the bull elk. "Counting coup, or striking an enemy, was the highest honor earned by warriors participating in the intertribal wars of the Great Plains. Native peoples recognized precise systems of graduated war honors, and usually the greatest exploit was counting coup. This was best accomplished by risking one's life in charging the enemy on foot or horseback to get close enough to touch or strike him with the hand, a weapon, or a "coupstick." "

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back