Young dogs & dumb luck

Ben Lamb

Some friends from Helena & Missoula met up in Southwestern Montana this last weekend to chase grouse. While we had ruffed, blues & sagies on the menu, the sage grouse took over the weekend. We made one or two walks for duskies, but ended up having far too much fun down lower in the valley looking for those big old bombers. Six of us showed up with 5 dogs. Setters, pointers and Labs. All of them, except for a very elderly setter, were under 3 years old and had at most 1 season on them. We weren't expecting much beyond a bunch of puppies trying to figure it all out and some nice, long walks. Luckily, we did find a covey on the way back to the cabin. In typical sage grouse fashion, the covey flushed right as we opened the last gate to get back to the homestead and a nice bottle of Blanton's.

12 miles of walking, only to have the damned birds get up right in front of the truck. We parked and hurriedly got our gear on. As the other guys were diddling around, I grabbed Greta and ran ahead a bit. Was it selfish? A bit. Greta hadn't have a bird yet, and I was determined to let her get a good feel for how it should work. Luckily, she flushed three, and we connected on 2 young-of-the-year grouse on a nice double. She still has a long way to go, and we're going to work on her searching and getting farther out than 10 yards over the next couple of weeks, but she's got the feel for how it's supposed to come together, and once she sleeps off long miles & lots of play with other young dogs, she'll be ready to rock-n-roll.

I love hunting sage grouse. The country the reside in is some of the west's most important habitat for elk, deer, pronghorn and a host of other species. I love that you have to walk for miles and miles and miles to find the birds, and I love that it's largely on public land that you can find these big, beautiful birds.

Up on the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest, looking down on the Big Hole Valley:

sagies8.jpg

Greta at the end of the first day's walk, ready for more.

sagies2.jpg

Artsy-fartsy shot:

sagies7.jpg

Some sticks are for sharing:

sagies6.jpg

Groot's first birds:

sagies5.jpg

Dreaming of feathers:

sagies4.jpg

Well if a pups first bird can't be a shoveler, it might as well be a sage-grouse.

Kidding, excellent for Greta.

Looking forward to seeing her in action.

Well if a pups first bird can't be a shoveler, it might as well be a sage-grouse.

Kidding, excellent for Greta.

Looking forward to seeing her in action.

Ha!

She was not terribly excited to grab the first one, so it got lost to the GSP in the crowd, which made for a bit of a rodeo as the GSP tried to play keep away. I had to rescue the second bird from the young setter who seemed intent on plucking the feathers for us. Headed out for mountain grouse & sharpies this weekend in the hopes that a week of training with help her hunt farther out than 10 yards for the ugly dog fest.

Great story and good looking pup! There is something special about working birds with your young dog! October can't come fast enough, congrats!

Great story and pics! My lab wasn't too excited about his first bird either.

She was pretty excited with the birds, once she found them. She spent the 1/2 mile back to the truck leaping and spinning with excitement over them.

We're going to spend some time with live pigeons this week and next getting her used to searching & flushing and acting like a bird dog. I have only myself to blame for this, so we'll both get some training this week and next. :)

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Hopefully this weekend brings some huns and sharpies.

It warms my heart to not only hear young bird dog stories but to also hear that I'm not the only one with a young dog that isn't as trained as she should be!

It warms my heart to not only hear young bird dog stories but to also hear that I'm not the only one with a young dog that isn't as trained as she should be!

Ha!

She's currently hiding in shame for digging up the wife's raised flower bed, again.

Ha!

She's currently hiding in shame for digging up the wife's raised flower bed, again.

Yep, been through that. My GSP has a propensity for roses. Why she can't pick the cheap plants is beyond me. Maybe it's a purebred thing :) My pup is currently being trained with the e-collar. 3 weeks in and she's getting a ton more off-leash exercise and her behavior is of course improving greatly. Now I just have to break her of rabbits. That's a habit that I've let go too long and it makes the evening walks frustratingly slow at times. I think the neighbors are used to me walking into their yards to flush the bunnies by now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back