Eld-x bullets for elk?

Heading to Colorado in a few weeks and I wanted to get everyones impression on using the Hornady eld-x bullets for elk. Shot them at range and they do a fantastic job, though I've heard both sides that they're a "no go" for elk and others say they're great. Loaded up the 230gr in the 338 win mag. Any thoughts?

That's a pretty big bullet with a lot of energy behind it...keep it off the shoulder and you should be fine. The caveat is that you risk a lot of bloodshot meat if you get too close to the shoulder due to rapid expansion and fragmentation so my personal preference is use a bullet with a more controlled expansion

230 should be good, it's going slow enough, you should have no problems. I had a poor experience with a 162 ELD-X on a cow elk last season in my 7mm Rem. The factory ammo shoots very well in my gun, but I have since switched to 168 ABLR loads. My ELD-X shot on a cow was at 285yds, as she was bedded. The bullet hit the shoulder blade and only made it into the near-side lung. Impact velocity shouldn't have been an issue at that distance, but apparently it was. Complete jacket/core separation.
I also shot a Mule Deer buck at 100yds behind the shoulder and had complete pass-through, so I wouldn't hesitate to put one behind the shoulder.

However, to muddy the waters even more, my friend shot a mule deer with his 300 WSM (200gr ELD-X) at 300 yds and upon impact, the bullet turned 90* and traveled the length of the torso and into the near side hip. He had to finish him off with his pistol when he walked up to him.

I really like how they shoot, but performance has been too spotty for me to continue to use them in total confidence. I do believe, though, that a 230gr at 338 Win Mag velocities will get the job done for you.

My chronograph showed a muzzle velocity of 2850 fps with 74 gr Rl-19 and according to the ballistic calculator it's already down to 2700 fps at 100 yards, hopefully this helps. If I do my part the gun shoots great.

My friend used a .308 ELD-X on a red deer stag recently, in the back of my mind I was thinking about the mixed reports I had read on this bullet, it performed as I expected, awful, no exit wound and the inside was just mush, shot placement was perfect, but it just blew up, I appreciate they have their fan's, but I'm a Nosler Partition man.
Cheers
Richard

I've taken two elk and muley with the 178 gn out of a 300 wsm. 63.2 gn of rl 17 pushes them over 3,000 fps. None of those had massive damage, 30 Cal entrance, golfball exit. Harvest distances were 330, 320, and 270. I'll keep using them.

I used the 178gr eldx from my 308 last year and had great results on the antelope, deer, and elk killed. Muzzle velocity was 2775fps and kills were on the close side at 120 yards & on the far said at 507. Cow elk was at 240 took one in the chest and fell down in second.

Also killed a cow elk a couple years ago with factory precision hunter 200gr eldx from a 300 win mag, 362 yard shot and she fell over on the spot.

I have had good luck with the eldx in general.

I've had great results with the 143gr bullet on deer and antelope, I can't imagine the 230gr won't do the job on an elk...post up your results if you shoot one.

I have never read such varied reports on a bullet, both here and other websites.

I really don’t know what to make of it.

Out of all the new bullets available, the ELD's are one I've never considered loading. mtmuley

I, personally, would not load them for elk, but I know a guy that punched a 143, 6.5 ELDX through both sides of a huge Nebraska cow elk at around 80 yards. I don't think that they are as good as standard Interlocks, but they will perform well, if you are shooting extended ranges. I would vote for a Partition, or Accubond, generally, but with that heavy caliber, you should be fine.

I believe the bullet that has worked good for a guy should be the one you stay with. Do the testing of a new bullet on the range and use a test media to see how they compare with your tried and true bullet. A live game animal should receive the respect of the hunter as a game animal not a test animal.

This belief may ruffle a few feathers, if your among those that it does …….. well it sucks to be you ;)

Dan

I’ve now killed a Bighorn ram, two bull elk and four mule deer with them and I’m still on the fence. That should be all I need to get off of it back to the accubond.

The thing for me is the confidence that they are going to fly great and hit the mark. . After that............

Haven't had a chance to test them on elk again this year. Shot an antelope at 420 yds. Hit behind the shoulder, bullet made a complete mess of the vitals before exiting. Lots of blood, and one dead antelope. I know, I know, I should've tried for the shoulder as more of a test...

My sample of three. 175 grain eldx out of a 7 stw.

Mature bull elk quartering hard away at about 150 yards.I

All three rounds exited after punching hide, gut, vitals, and shoulder. Can't want for more than that.

Adding my two cents after last weekend pronghorn hunting.

1. I made a horrible shot on my doe, somehow hitting her in the hind quarter when she was 100 yards away. Worst pulled shot I've ever had. The ELD-X hit her femur and exploded. Now, many people would say this is bad, but I'm not so sure that it was. I was able to finish her quickly and only lost that one quarter. Many deer that I've seen shot back like that would lose most of both hind quarters, so interpret that as you may.

2. My buddy (with the same exact load, different gun) made a perfect 180 yard shot through the shoulder blade, and the bullet exited through the opposite shoulder without an extreme exit hole. I didn't recover the bullet, but it dropped him in his tracks after turning his lungs into a pink mist.

I don't have experience hunting elk, but I would say that after seeing how these work on smaller critters I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk with one at all. Keep the shot in the place that you'd shoot any animal and you'll be just fine and dandy.

Add one more sample. same .284 175 grn eldx on a broadside mature mule deer buck at 442 yards. punched right through the rib cage. It's not much to say as any soft point hunting bullet will do the same thing.

Midway has eldx blems on sale. I ordered enough to practice and hunt for a year or two.

My personal experience with them is the 143 eldx in 6.5 creedmoor on antelope are incredible. That's all we use for antelope anymore. However, I shot the 200 out of 300 win mag for a few years and after no pass throughs on any animals I hung them up and went back to accubonds and other bonded bullets. I shot my biggest bull to date at 50 yards with them and it anchored him but I didn't have any pass through and it was a neck shot. My wife shot a muley with the same gun at 150 yards and no pass through. They seem to act a lot more like hornadys SST or similar ballistic tip. I personally like through and through shots with blood trails. But with a 338 and as long as you're more than 100 yards away or so and shoot for lungs you should be fine. It was a bullet most definitely made for long range (over 300 yards) and thus why you see fragmentation and separation at close ranges at high velocity.

the 143 gr eld x in my 6.5 creedmoor,,savage mod 116 shoots them well,,dropped 2 antelope like sacks of potatoes,,shot my nev big horn sheep with them last year,he went a little ways{must be a little tougher} but it did the job,,havnt tried on elk yet but should work with good shot placement.1/4" grouping at 200 yrds,,shoots nice

Back