Gear improvements for this year: lighter, more compact, better.

shaffe48

Hey all, I thought this would be a good conversation. I know it's a little late for fall hunters perhaps. But as a spring hunter looking towards next year or a fall hunter looking at what they've already done, what are your marginal improvements? I know my pack was entirely too heavy last spring, so my improvements will be more than marginal!

My entire sleep system (bivvy, tarp, stakes, bag, pad) is already about 5 lbs. My pack is 5 lbs but I am probably getting one that fits me better (a medium instead of a tall).

1. Water, change water pills to steripen: I was using water pills that take 4 hours to work. While these were very light and compact, they took forever to work leading me to carry .75-1 gallon of water. Instead, I'm buying a steripen which takes a little over a minute to work. So I won't have to worry about carrying more than a quart of water in a 3oz nalgene for all my drinking, cooking, and cleaning in water plentiful areas. Weight saving is up to 6 lbs!!!. Unbelievable.

2 I just ordered from REI to switch to all primaloft from fleece if they keep me as warm. I already had a 100 gram primaloft jacket that weighs 1 lb. I just ordered a second in addition to a 8 oz nanopuff. This will bring me to just over 2.5 lbs. Moreover, I find these primaloft garments pack down a lot better than my big 300 weight polartec fleece jacked and my 100 weight fleece. We will see if they keep me as warm!!!

3. Food: I took way too much food last time probably 2 lbs plus and 3k calories plus a day planning for 8-9 days. That's 18 lbs of food. This time I will take 1 lbs + and 2k calories + a day for a 7 day trip for about 9 lbs weight savings.

4. GPS: I took an inreach and a gps along with 18 plus AA batteries. This time I'm going to try to get good topo maps for the inreach only and a small battery pack for recharge of the single device.

5. Knickknacks: I took probably a .5-1 lb + too many odds and ends in addition to batteries to include spare knifes, several things of rope, etc. I can probably refine these.

That's 17-18 lbs plus in pack weight.

I also need to loose 20-30 lbs of me weight. But that's another story!

I will sell you a steripen that has never been used if you want one.

I might get back with you in that one. I was planning on buying mine off Amazon for $78 but always willing to buy used off of someone trustworthy. But right now I just bought some jackets and might be buying a pack.

I might get back with you in that one. I was planning on buying mine off Amazon for $78 but always willing to buy used off of someone trustworthy. But right now I just bought some jackets and might be buying a pack.

$50 and it is somewhere on the classifieds on here. Noharleyyet can verify I am legit as he bought a knife off of me last year.

I have gone through several tents trying to find that perfect combo of lightweight and big enough. First was a one man tent by snugpak (ionosphere). That was way too small. There was no way I could even sit up in it. I then went to a 3 person dome tent that weighed almost 7 pounds. It was plenty big, but just too dang heavy. It was something I already had, so that's why I gave it a shot. I now use a super tarp by kifaru. It's a floorless shelter and I love it. I can walk right in with dirty boots, cook inside it, and even put a small wood stove in there for heat (I have the anex, but not a stove yet). The tarp weighs about 1 pound. So far, a side from my pack, that's been my best purchase

I have gone through several tents trying to find that perfect combo of lightweight and big enough. First was a one man tent by snugpak (ionosphere). That was way too small. There was no way I could even sit up in it. I then went to a 3 person dome tent that weighed almost 7 pounds. It was plenty big, but just too dang heavy. It was something I already had, so that's why I gave it a shot. I now use a super tarp by kifaru. It's a floorless shelter and I love it. I can walk right in with dirty boots, cook inside it, and even put a small wood stove in there for heat (I have the anex, but not a stove yet). The tarp weighs about 1 pound. So far, a side from my pack, that's been my best purchase

I looked it up and it looks nice though $$.

My tarp is a 4*9 and obviously with wind resistent settings I can barely squirm into it. Without my bivvy I'd never trust it. I now have a 1 person tent that feels like the Taj Mahal in comparison but adds 2 lbs. I mostly bought it for backpacking with my dog but might use it if I feel I'll be as stationary as last year glassing or if in really do lose 20 lbs on my diet

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back