Gear improvements for this year: lighter, more compact, better.

shaffe48

Hey all, I thought this would be a good conversation. I know it's a little late for fall hunters perhaps. But as a spring hunter looking towards next year or a fall hunter looking at what they've already done, what are your marginal improvements? I know my pack was entirely too heavy last spring, so my improvements will be more than marginal!

My entire sleep system (bivvy, tarp, stakes, bag, pad) is already about 5 lbs. My pack is 5 lbs but I am probably getting one that fits me better (a medium instead of a tall).

1. Water, change water pills to steripen: I was using water pills that take 4 hours to work. While these were very light and compact, they took forever to work leading me to carry .75-1 gallon of water. Instead, I'm buying a steripen which takes a little over a minute to work. So I won't have to worry about carrying more than a quart of water in a 3oz nalgene for all my drinking, cooking, and cleaning in water plentiful areas. Weight saving is up to 6 lbs!!!. Unbelievable.

2 I just ordered from REI to switch to all primaloft from fleece if they keep me as warm. I already had a 100 gram primaloft jacket that weighs 1 lb. I just ordered a second in addition to a 8 oz nanopuff. This will bring me to just over 2.5 lbs. Moreover, I find these primaloft garments pack down a lot better than my big 300 weight polartec fleece jacked and my 100 weight fleece. We will see if they keep me as warm!!!

3. Food: I took way too much food last time probably 2 lbs plus and 3k calories plus a day planning for 8-9 days. That's 18 lbs of food. This time I will take 1 lbs + and 2k calories + a day for a 7 day trip for about 9 lbs weight savings.

4. GPS: I took an inreach and a gps along with 18 plus AA batteries. This time I'm going to try to get good topo maps for the inreach only and a small battery pack for recharge of the single device.

5. Knickknacks: I took probably a .5-1 lb + too many odds and ends in addition to batteries to include spare knifes, several things of rope, etc. I can probably refine these.

That's 17-18 lbs plus in pack weight.

I also need to loose 20-30 lbs of me weight. But that's another story!

I will sell you a steripen that has never been used if you want one.

I might get back with you in that one. I was planning on buying mine off Amazon for $78 but always willing to buy used off of someone trustworthy. But right now I just bought some jackets and might be buying a pack.

I might get back with you in that one. I was planning on buying mine off Amazon for $78 but always willing to buy used off of someone trustworthy. But right now I just bought some jackets and might be buying a pack.

$50 and it is somewhere on the classifieds on here. Noharleyyet can verify I am legit as he bought a knife off of me last year.

I have gone through several tents trying to find that perfect combo of lightweight and big enough. First was a one man tent by snugpak (ionosphere). That was way too small. There was no way I could even sit up in it. I then went to a 3 person dome tent that weighed almost 7 pounds. It was plenty big, but just too dang heavy. It was something I already had, so that's why I gave it a shot. I now use a super tarp by kifaru. It's a floorless shelter and I love it. I can walk right in with dirty boots, cook inside it, and even put a small wood stove in there for heat (I have the anex, but not a stove yet). The tarp weighs about 1 pound. So far, a side from my pack, that's been my best purchase

I have gone through several tents trying to find that perfect combo of lightweight and big enough. First was a one man tent by snugpak (ionosphere). That was way too small. There was no way I could even sit up in it. I then went to a 3 person dome tent that weighed almost 7 pounds. It was plenty big, but just too dang heavy. It was something I already had, so that's why I gave it a shot. I now use a super tarp by kifaru. It's a floorless shelter and I love it. I can walk right in with dirty boots, cook inside it, and even put a small wood stove in there for heat (I have the anex, but not a stove yet). The tarp weighs about 1 pound. So far, a side from my pack, that's been my best purchase

I looked it up and it looks nice though $$.

My tarp is a 4*9 and obviously with wind resistent settings I can barely squirm into it. Without my bivvy I'd never trust it. I now have a 1 person tent that feels like the Taj Mahal in comparison but adds 2 lbs. I mostly bought it for backpacking with my dog but might use it if I feel I'll be as stationary as last year glassing or if in really do lose 20 lbs on my diet

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back