Youth 243

209elk

I'm looking at getting my kids a youth 243, does anyone have experance with a particular brand/model? Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thank you

budget, with scope?

I'd look at the Ruger American Compact or the TC Venture Compact

I would stay away from the Ruger American unless they've solved the magazine problems. I'm very impressed with the functionality and accuracy of the lower priced Savage models.

Hope I am not violating any forum rules here.
Currently on Gunbroker there is a Howa 243 with (2) stocks ( Youth size and adult size)
You can enter HWR66204 in the search bar.
This package was discontinued a couple years ago when I asked the Howa rep here on Hunt Talk. ( I think his name was Matt from Legacy Sports ??)
I was very seriously going to buy for my (2) girls to share as best they could or just take turns shooting.
We just never pulled the trigger on that gun so to speak.
Current offering price is $540 with (0) bids.
Gun comes with (2) stocks black stock is shorter LOP and Green stock is slightly longer and the stock they grow into.

Good luck

I would stay away from the Ruger American unless they've solved the magazine problems. I'm very impressed with the functionality and accuracy of the lower priced Savage models.

I picked one of the axis youth "muddy girl" combos up on the recommendation of the "screaming hot deal" thread ( https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?284437-Screaming-Good-Deal&highlight=screaming+deal ) last month. It ran $199 at the local wally world. The purchase "experience" was a pain, but I'm happy w/ how it shoots. I did a little polishing on the sear and lightened up the trigger pull, and it shoots way better than my kids can shoot. Half a box into the gun and it's sub-MOA w/ factory Hornady whitetails. Only downside is the pink camo that my daughter hates (she won't hunt w/ it anyway), and my son is luke-warm on. Hopefully he'll get his first deer w/ it during our youth hunt this weekend.

Optics aren't the best (bushnell 3-9), but for what it is and what we need it for, it'll serve it's purpose for a few years. I've got an axis in .223 that's a tack driver and I really don't think they sell a barrel that won't shoot.

My brother picked up a pair of the same guns and the difference in trigger pulls is crazy. One has no travel and is 4#, the other has a bunch of travel and breaks at 7.5#. There's a ton of threads on youtube on how to address the issue, or just plop in a different trigger.

Best of luck in your hunt!

I picked one of the axis youth "muddy girl" combos up on the recommendation of the "screaming hot deal" thread ( https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?284437-Screaming-Good-Deal&highlight=screaming+deal ) last month. It ran $199 at the local wally world. The purchase "experience" was a pain, but I'm happy w/ how it shoots. I did a little polishing on the sear and lightened up the trigger pull, and it shoots way better than my kids can shoot. Half a box into the gun and it's sub-MOA w/ factory Hornady whitetails. Only downside is the pink camo that my daughter hates (she won't hunt w/ it anyway), and my son is luke-warm on. Hopefully he'll get his first deer w/ it during our youth hunt this weekend.

Optics aren't the best (bushnell 3-9), but for what it is and what we need it for, it'll serve it's purpose for a few years. I've got an axis in .223 that's a tack driver and I really don't think they sell a barrel that won't shoot.

My brother picked up a pair of the same guns and the difference in trigger pulls is crazy. One has no travel and is 4#, the other has a bunch of travel and breaks at 7.5#. There's a ton of threads on youtube on how to address the issue, or just plop in a different trigger.

Best of luck in your hunt!

I also went with one of the $199 243 Savages. Great little gun.

I started as a youth with H&R single shots. I still have and use them occasionally. H&Rs are getting hard to come by, but you might also take a look at CVAs line of single shot rifles. They have a mid-tier model, around the $400 range that seems to be a lot better quality than their $200 range rifles. Both the H&Rs and CVAs are compact, fairly light and simple to use.

The wife and step daughter shoot the savage axis .243 and really like it. They've killed a couple bears and multiple deer and I've shota coyote or two with it. The trigger is a little stiff but it shoots good groups. I did upgrade the scope thou

I've seen a ton of kids running around the range with Savage 110s. I haven't shot one, but can only assume that they're a well put together rifle. I've seen packages for much less than $700 at the local sporting goods stores.

I am a southpaw and got into Savages because at the time they were the only ones that had readily available left hand rifles. I like the fact that you can rebarrel the rifle yourself. If the kids "outgrow" the 243, you can rebarrel to a 7mm-08 or 308.

I am a southpaw and got into Savages because at the time they were the only ones that had readily available left hand rifles. I like the fact that you can rebarrel the rifle yourself. If the kids "outgrow" the 243, you can rebarrel to a 7mm-08 or 308.

Remington has been catering to the southpaws since at least the mid 70s, tho selection was limited. I have 6 of the 700s.

My two boys have howa youth rifles and my wife uses weatherby vanguard youth rifles. They all shoot well and are under your 700 dollar mark . The vanguard youth comes with a spacer to add on to the stock as they grow and seems to be well fit.

Last edited:
I saw somewhere that Savage has a 10% rebate on rifles...I'll find the link. https://www.savagearms.com/promotions
Savage rifles aren't pretty but dang functional. All 4 of mine shoot sub-MOA and 1/2" groups are common. The Accufit stock may help with adjustment as your kids get bigger...not that you asked but I think I consider getting a 308 with reduced loads so if they want to go bigger later on they'll be set for elk

Scope wise you can find new/used Leupolds. Message Schmalts for his pricing. I see SWFA had a 10% off sale on their entire site and I've heard good things about their scopes

Last edited:
A harder chore than finding an inexpensive youth model 243 is finding one that is not up to par. Guns today are really light years ahead of when I was a kid. I'v got a couple Mossberg Patriot's, one in 243 that I love. Got the 243 first and was so impressed I turned around and got a 308 I really didn't need!

Tikka makes a youth model 243. I just picked one up for my son. It is the older model t3, but they can also be found in the t3x. They come with the spacer to allow the stock to "grow with them". I own several other tikka rifles and I love everything about them. All my stocks are interchangeable, they shoot lights out, and they come from the factory with an excellent single stage trigger that is easily adjusted. The youth models are also extremely light.

check out eurooptics.com for some closeout tikka's.

Back