Bear Jackson Hole

Just read this article , so sad i often take bear country for granted. Walking out in the dark last year i literally stumbled upon a elk kill that was no gut quartered i loohed up and saw brown fur first thought was bear ,all the planing went out the door. I simply just froze i was so freaked. Side note spring bear hunting watched a griz playing with a large chunk of hide from that elk.sympathy for all familys affected by this event.

"Chubon told investigators that he threw a pistol to Uptain before successfully fleeing and phoning authorities."

I am trying to imagine being in the clients shoes and not arm chair criticize him from where I sit behind my computer. Why do you guys think this man didnt try and shoot the bear? Also no mention of bear spray, interesting. Always know the type of men or women you are hunting with in dangerous country.

LMAO! Get a grip, people! If you hunt in bear country, you have got to accept the fact that THEY WILL EAT YOU! If you cannot stand that thought, then stay home, with your eastern douche biscuit cuddlies. Bears add a sense of adventure to any hunt in THEIR country. Sorry for the loss, but welcome to the west! I really like bears, but also realize that those bastards have got to be controlled like any other predator, and have to realize that people are not their friends and can kill them. They are part of the wild west, but you had better have your shit wired to hunt WITH them. Cabin Creek ( I think) outfitters go into the Thoroughfare and have not ever had a bad incident, because THEY KNOW WHAT THEY NEED TO DO. That guide was top notch, it appears, but no one is outside of the reach of wild Wyoming! Happy hunting, brothers.

A NE grizzled expert. My guess is he has never hunted in grizzly country or seen a grizzly.

Fun ribbing aside - I must admit I actually agree with SOME of what sb wrote......

I was hunting at 8000' up the Gallatin this morning. Knowing they're there, when I'm up there, does add certain elements to the day..........

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this situation and what could of been. I wonder if guides try to cover situational examples with these greenhorns prior? Like what if situations. I've wondered if the client would of merely fired a few rounds off, would it of spooked the bear? Gotta try something. I can understand not firing into the ball of human and bear but come on. Even with spray I'd rather my partner dowse both of us than me continue to get mauled. Hind sight is easy I understand but thinking about the different possible situations before hand could save your life.

I've been thinking about this situation and what could of been. I wonder if guides try to cover situational examples with these greenhorns prior? Like what if situations. I've wondered if the client would of merely fired a few rounds off, would it of spooked the bear? Gotta try something. I can understand not firing into the ball of human and bear but come on. Even with spray I'd rather my partner dowse both of us than me continue to get mauled. Hind sight is easy I understand but thinking about the different possible situations before hand could save your life.
I was wondering the same thing. Will this change the hunter/guide orientation talks before their hunts begin from now on? Will the guides and clients be talking about the "what if's" in the event of an bear attack now? That might have a few greenies anxious, excited, and also a little worried about their first elk hunt in the grizzly areas.

This guy actually guided my Pop to a 330 class bull back in 2016. My pops, who is a lifelong hunter, had nothing but praise for Mark. He raved about his caution and prepardness. It is a tragic tail. Even if you “KNOW WHAT YOU NEED TO DO” anyones luck can run out. It is ignorant to think otherwise. Mark was a great man and highly respected. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and the crew of Martin Outfitters.

Attachments

• 78B98630-ED58-4E29-BC77-C83A60AC0045.jpeg
    78B98630-ED58-4E29-BC77-C83A60AC0045.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:
All the way around, it is a very sad situation. Prayers for the family.

Boy... I'm not sure if I could wipe a man, who so flippantly "laughes his ass off" at the death of a father of 5, off the bottom of my boots fast enough.

It sure is easy to say what "could" of happened if they would of done this or that, when your sitting on your couch. Truth of the matter is one great guy is deceased and 2 others have to live with this the rest of their life. Wondering themselves "what if I did this or that." I personally know these guys and they are great guys. I find it absolutely disgusting that someone can "laugh their ass off at this" and call people "eastern douche biscuits." Easy to write that while your sitting on your couch.

Elkhunter 24 like others have said, there is no way anyone should second guess because fear is a very powerful emotion and unless you were there, you have no room to arm chair this entire situation. I am truly sorry for all of those involved.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back