Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Canned Venison

I simmer the cubes in just enough water to cover them till they are cooked then pack in jars using the liquid to fill up to about 1/2" from the top, then pressure can for 20-30 mins. Always turns out 'fall apart tender' I use it in chili and sometime just fry up sliced potatoes till almost done and pour a pint of canned meat over and let the potatoes soak up the liquid.

i do quarts with 1 tblspoon of salt , beef bullion cube and tblespoon of teriyaki. i have used onion powder,soy sauce, garlic. for ADDICTING, and you half full jars
try putting the rings on just finger tight, this will still let air escape but tight enough to keep jars from boiling over.

mr hulburt is right bear meat is awesome canned.

I put a few shakes of Montreal Steak Seasoning in the jars before I seal them up.

Canned is definitely one of my favorite ways to eat venison, great way to use up tough cuts of meat and you also never have to worry about your freezer going out! Great thread, I've definitely learned of some new things to try in here, too bad I only have 2 jars left from last year at the moment!

Can’t wait to try canning deer meat this year. Great thread. I’ve always canned vegetables from the garden but never meat.

I canned 16 pints from my wyoming mule deer. Looking forward to breaking one open. I did forget to add vinegar to the water in the pressure cooker, so I got that nice scum ring on my jars.
20181007_213522.jpg

I keep having issues with my pressure canner and I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong. I am following the receipe in the Ball canning book by simmering the stew meat in broth and hot packing the jars to 1” below the top. Half turn out good and half boil over and I end up with a jar half full sealed. Any ideas? This is elk from our trip, looks like ass but does taste great.
View attachment 87844

Mine do that to. I think its just boiling over in the cooker. Im gonna try raw pack to see if there is any difference. I do love having it.

My dad grew up on that stuff and said it was good, but we always froze our meat as a kid. I just can't get over the looks of it.

Can yall provide some recommendations on a pressure cooker? Never owned one and would probably only use it for canning meat.

Can yall provide some recommendations on a pressure cooker? Never owned one and would probably only use it for canning meat.
We went with the All American a few years back...not cheap but should last a lifetime. Before that we used an ancient one that was OK but had gasket issues and I could never find a replacement that was quite the right size.

Been thinking about trying goose breast in the caner......

anyone ever try it?

Also, would like to try fish one day, but haven't yet!

We went with the All American a few years back...not cheap but should last a lifetime. Before that we used an ancient one that was OK but had gasket issues and I could never find a replacement that was quite the right size.

I've also been told that the All American is the way to go...might follow the optics rule "buy once; cry once"...

Been thinking about trying goose breast in the caner......

anyone ever try it?

Also, would like to try fish one day, but haven't yet!
A member here gave me some pickled a couple years back, really good stuff. A guy I worked with one summer pressure canned walleye by the boat load; so good. I'd think there could be some nuance to getting the texture right.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back