Canned Venison

maxx

Has slowly become a family favorite. If you guys are not trying it you are missing out specially for busy families. Most nights of the week are packed full for us, football, cheerleading, church, school stuff, etc. The canned meat is so quick and easy and it can be eaten in so many ways!

I just did another 11 pints. 1 pint is about a 1lb. I am just about out of last years deer. I think I may have about 15lbs give or take less with some wild pig and bear left.

We shot 4 whitetail last year but I only shot one, each kid got one. I cant remember the last time I didn't kill at least 3 of them! Today youth started but we didn't score. Its hot but we will give it an hour or so in the morning.

Don't leave us hanging...What's your process? Recipes?

There isn’t much to it.

Cube meat 1”x1”
Sanatize jars (I use a dishwasher)
Boil lids and tops.
Pack raw meat in into jars leave .5” head space
1 tsp of salt
Wipe tops with vinegar.
Put in pressure cooker 10lbs for 75 minutes with pints

We eat it so many ways. Gravy over mashe taters, tacos, BBQ sandwiches, etc

I was raised on that stuff. Delicious as can be. Stroganoff or spaghetti were our go-to's, but put it in any hamburger helper and it's great as well.

I grew up on canned or as my grandma called it, bottled meat. I never could figure out how my mom or grandma could have a car load of people arrive 10 minutes before supper and have enough for everyone. Well it was that they just opened up more jars of meat.

I will say it looks like death in a jar but tastes great.

Nemont

I just ate a jar of canned deer meat this evening. It's one of my favorite ways to process deer or elk. Going to try with an antelope this year if I get one. All great meal ideas posted above. We also eat it in a homemade soup. We just add a few cups of beef broth, some garlic and onion powder, a cut up onion, frozen mixed vegetables and little potatoes along with the canned deer. The soup also reheats well.

We usually make 20-30 jars a year. I'm totally sold on it as well!

That is the same way I can bear meat and it is actually better canned than venison in my opinion. It shreds better anyhow. It's all good and super easy when it comes time to make dinner. I sometimes add a clove of garlic and some pepper slices to mine.

How do others prepare it? Stroganoff/ meat and noodles is definitely my favorite. French dip style sandwiches would be great too.

How do others prepare it? Stroganoff/ meat and noodles is definitely my favorite. French dip style sandwiches would be great too.

Have you ever been to the Iowa state fair and had the Hot Beef Sundae? This is probably our favorite. Mix it up with some premade gravy, put it over mashed taters and then sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese over the top.

On a Kaiser roll, warmed up canned meat mixed with you favorite BBQ sauce, caramelized onions.

I use for making filling for Tamales also. It has the perfect texture for them.

Nemont

Have you ever been to the Iowa state fair and had the Hot Beef Sundae? This is probably our favorite. Mix it up with some premade gravy, put it over mashed taters and then sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese over the top.

I haven't had that dish at the fair. Sounds like a very traditional style hot beef though.

I like the tamale idea too!

I keep having issues with my pressure canner and I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong. I am following the receipe in the Ball canning book by simmering the stew meat in broth and hot packing the jars to 1” below the top. Half turn out good and half boil over and I end up with a jar half full sealed. Any ideas? This is elk from our trip, looks like ass but does taste great.
974F77DD-B37C-466A-B100-5F6BEB51E02B.jpg

I always cold pack, raw meat prior to pressure canning. It looks to me that you have air pockets in your jar prior to canning. Try filling them and then take a chop stick and push it down the sides of the jar to make sure all the air is out.

Nemont

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back