Packing Meat Out...

406LIFE

...any tricks you use for keeping the meat from balling up at the bottom? I usually just deal with it after cinching it down, but this last pack out sucked too much. For reference, I have a MR Metcalf.

What game bags are you running?
I have not used tag bags but they proclaim to help with that issue.
I have the caribou bags and have sewn a taper in the bottom third. So instead of 18 inches wide at top and bottom its 18 at top and 12 on bottom of that makes sense.

@Mtrunner Black Ovis Game bags, no taper. Thats an interesting suggestion.

@Cush Just a mulie buck, but didnt want to do more than 1 trip.

On my Exo pack if packing out in one trip, the meat shelf forms a wedge between the frame and pack that is larger at the top which eliminates the possibility of the meat balling up at the bottom.

On my Metcalf I just tighten the straps more at the bottom so it can’t settle in.

Edit: you can also use paracord around the meat sack to help hold its shape.

Can you cinch up the bottom right before you put the meat in?

Tag makes a BOMB bag that is long and skinny. Works well. I've just seen a few up out of old bags at 14 inches wide. Works well. Problem is they can be a pain to load with big chunks.

Have also ran rope around a bag to keep it in a better shape, or stuff a foam pad in the bottom to keep it up.

Packing meat is usually an unpleasant pack bo matter what pack you have or how you load it.

I have or have added horizontal compression straps on every pack I've owned for this reason. Put your light stuff in the bottom of your pack and cinch the strap that is just above the light stuff/just below the meat down as far as you can/need, then load your meat. Even cinching it down a little first will hold bone-in quarters up there since they have more structure. Keeps it up high and there is no room to slide down towards your daypack stuff.

I find the Caribou game bags "caribou size bags" are perfect for a boned out elk. An entire elk hindquarter will fit in a bag but that bag is narrow enough it wont bunch. Also I like to load my pack lying flat on the ground not up right so I can press the meat flat in the meat shelf as I tighten all the compression straps.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back