Boning Knife/Neck Roast

BXB77

Does anyone pack a boning knife to break down an animal when backpack hunting? Also has any one had any luck removing the whole neck roast without a saw? If your packing a saw what are you packing?

You can remove the neck whole without a saw or just bone it out. I have done both. If I am a long ways in I don't pack out the bone. Any good sharp knife can be used to bone out a neck or any other part of a large game animal. I do like a filet knife but I don't always carry one.
I almost always carry a small saw and I have probably tried 10 different types. I keep going back to a folding one that I have had for 40 years. I basically use the saw to remove the horns so I don't have to pack out the head. It is not the best saw but it is very light and once my deer is dead I have lots of time to do anything I need to do.

I do like the neck with the bone left in for the slow cooker. Makes great Mexican dishes or Bar B Que sandwiches.

I bone everything with my Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf knife. I don't carry a bone saw for bone in roasts, because many states now prohibit this in the areas I hunt. CWD should make people rethink doing a bone-in neck roast, IMO.

Neck roasts are awesome, one of my favorite cuts.

For me hunting in Ca. is the only time leaving the bone in is an option. If I hunt out of state I cannot import any spinal column or brain tissue. I have to boil the skull plate to be able to bring it back.
When hunting out of state I don't bring any bone back except the boiled and cleaned skull plate.

There is a joint that is easy to cut with any blade at the base of the neck, I take my necks out whole in CA for roasts in the dutch oven or slow cooker. I have found that as rigor sets in, when you flex the neck there is a distinct area that continues to move more than the rest of the neck, where the neck and chest join. That is where you cut the neck off. In deer and tule elk that section of spine doesn't weigh enough for me to worry about it for packing out...

Good luck!

I do everything with a Havalon, and instead of leaving the bones in I take the meat off both sides of the neck in two big slabs. I can still do a roast by rolling it back up and tying with butcher twine.

I have carried my boning knife in the past, but don't have a good case for it and I've been meaning to make one for a few years. A couple of years ago I got one of the Knives of Alaska "steelheader" knives. Which has a nice case, keeps a great edge - but isn't as stiff as a Victorinox medium boning knife. I've field butchered quite a few animals with it.

I have / will carry the "wyoming saw" at times. I like it at times and depending on how far in I'm going and what kind of cuts I'm going to make.

I have fears on the CWD aspect of bone-in neck roasts as well (maybe unfounded, but I feed young kids lots of wild game). I think I'm going to start having my animals tested, because I really like bone-in neck roasts.

I carry a Kershaw folding filet knife. Very flexible blade. I have to sharpen it frequently, but I use one of those pull through sharpeners so it's pretty quick and easy to touch up the blade. My primary knife is a custom job with D2 steel. I use that for breaking down the animal and skinning. I find the filet knife really speeds up the de-boning process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back