Bear attack Wy

Somebody has to get help. If the (already injured) client had stayed, chances are they'd just be "missing", unless someone found remains by accident. Personally, I try hard not to second guess the actions of people in situations I know very little about. The way it was reported, it sounds bad, but when I have been out in grizzly country with friends I have made it clear that going for help is the best way to help in such a situation, and that if everyone gets nailed, help is not coming. Especially with a second bear present, nothing good would come from sticking around. I would guess that the guide got in close enough to draw the bear's attention off his client, and then yelled for the client to go for help. The client threw his firearm to the guide, wisely not shooting into the "furball", and took off as instructed. I'd call that admirable presence of mind for a guy who had already been chewed on. If I were being mauled, I'd hope that any observers would have the sense to deploy spray instead of bullets. Being accidentally bear sprayed would be intensely unpleasant, but far less permanent than being accidentally shot. Besides, I'd need the bullets to shoot the idiot for not going for help like I told him to.

Somebody has to get help. If the (already injured) client had stayed, chances are they'd just be "missing", unless someone found remains by accident. Personally, I try hard not to second guess the actions of people in situations I know very little about. The way it was reported, it sounds bad, but when I have been out in grizzly country with friends I have made it clear that going for help is the best way to help in such a situation, and that if everyone gets nailed, help is not coming. Especially with a second bear present, nothing good would come from sticking around. I would guess that the guide got in close enough to draw the bear's attention off his client, and then yelled for the client to go for help. The client threw his firearm to the guide, wisely not shooting into the "furball", and took off as instructed. I'd call that admirable presence of mind for a guy who had already been chewed on. If I were being mauled, I'd hope that any observers would have the sense to deploy spray instead of bullets. Being accidentally bear sprayed would be intensely unpleasant, but far less permanent than being accidentally shot. Besides, I'd need the bullets to shoot the idiot for not going for help like I told him to.

For me it's about how quickly he left town, before the guides body was even found according to reports. That means he literally was on a plane out of town within 24 hours of his helicopter rescue Friday afternoon.

We will never really know what happened and the guys account leaves more questions than answers. IMO at the very least he owes the family an explanation as to what happened to their dad/husband and should be present at the funeral, but that's just me.

https://buckrail.com/injured-hunting-client-says-guide-saved-his-life-services-for-uptain-wednesday/

In recounting the incident, Chubon says he remembers hearing rocks tumble as he and Uptain attempted to retrieve the elk carcass.

Chubon says he was swung in the air by one bear. During the attack he attempted to throw a gun to Uptain but says the gun did not make it there. Chubon was dragged from his horse and attacked as Uptain shouted at the bears and tried to get their attention away from his client. That’s when one of the griz turned on Uptain to maul him, allowing Chubon to make a getaway on his horse where he headed for higher ground to make an emergency cell call.

Buckrail is still trying to obtain more details from local authorities on their version about what happened in the Teton Wilderness that fateful Friday.

For me it's about how quickly he left town, before the guides body was even found according to reports. That means he literally was on a plane out of town within 24 hours of his helicopter rescue Friday afternoon.

We will never really know what happened and the guys account leaves more questions than answers. IMO at the very least he owes the family an explanation as to what happened to their dad/husband and should be present at the funeral, but that's just me.

You've just nearly lost your life. You watched someone you spent a good number of hours with mauled to death. I think most people would just want to get home and hold their family close.

You've just nearly lost your life. You watched someone you spent a good number of hours with mauled to death. I think most people would just want to get home and hold their family close.

To each their own and I hear what you are saying but his dad was already here. I personally would not leave town until the man who saved my life had been found, I would feel an obligation to talk with his family about the last 2 days and last moments of their dad/husband's life, and I would feel the need to attend the funeral of such an amazing human being who sacrificed so much for me and likely stay close to his family as they got through this. But I would also feel guilty that I was the one who survived, guilty that I might have made a bad shot on the elk which led to this, and feel responsible for his death since it happened on my hunt and he got killed trying to help save me.

Admittedly I may have an extreme view on this as for some reason this one has really bothered me as I can't imagine what his family is going through right now and hate to lose what appears to be one hell of a good guy. Just a terrible situation.

I think people are making a lot of assumptions based on limited information. Tends to be the case when stuff like this happens.

I think people are making a lot of assumptions based on limited information. Tends to be the case when stuff like this happens.

I waited to hear the words from his mouth from his latest interview, no assumptions. The guide saved his life, directly from his mouth. And we know when he left town. This is not based on assumptions.

But if you feel that way you are entitled to your opinion. Everyone seems to have a different opinion, tends to be the case when stuff like this happens.

Sad deal. No one can say what they would have done unless they were there. A glock, probably a 9mm would have been a gamble to use because it may have pissed off the bear more. If they guide would have lived from playing dead, the client leaving would have got him help faster. No one can say what would have happened either way, but this bear was pissed off and without the bear spray in hand they both could be dead if the client stood his ground with that glock.

It's hard to say what one would do in this situation. I will say this. I've had 3 encounters with bears. The most recent one was this past weekend. Two of the three times I was with friends. It never crossed my mind to run for it and leave them. I would be willing to bet they felt the same way.

One account says he was "dragged from his horse". He must have been a hell of a horseman to stay in the saddle when a grizzly bear is attacking. I would think that horse would be going ballistic at that moment.

ClearCreek

Mark was a close friend. One of the best guys I know. It's been hard here.

Sad deal! Prayers for the guide! I’ve seen these beasts in northern BC and they’re not to be messed with. BC listened to the greenies and not science and banned hunting them. BC has over 15,500 grizzlies and I’m sad to say this will continue to happen. Be vigilant while hunting in grizzly country!

Mark was a close friend. One of the best guys I know. It's been hard here.

Some perspective right there.....
A number of people on here spend a fair amount of time out there with the bears. The reality is always there. Some have had their own close calls, some of us know people who have survived these deals, and a very very few unfortunate ones may(do) know those who haven't.
Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back