Bear attack Wy

Oh my, I can't imagine how tough this has to be for them and their families. Prayers for all ! So now I guess those in grizzly country have to be ready for a bear at ANY moment.

Prayers to the Family ...but this sounds terrible . We need to be prepared as hunters for something like this to happen . Be safe out there this fall .

I don’t understand how there’s any question on what species of bear it was. Grizzly! How many black bear attacks have occurred in Wyoming? I can think of none!

Hopefully avoiding (re) starting the discussion - just an observation......

In the attack on the MN hikers last week I read that bear spray, while on the victim, was not deployed - not enough time to react.
This attack, a handgun is/was reported to have been in possession of the hunter and or guide. From the reporting so far - was possibly of little use??

When the lengthy discussions regarding "which sidearm etc. for G Bear country is best...." come up, I hope folks recall the reality(s) of these two recent incidents.

They both appear to be great (yet unfortunate) reality checks regarding how quickly and unexpectedly these bear attacks unfold. Lotsa' folks out sneaking around quietly, cow calling/bugling, leaving dead critters on the ground, etc. It's only 9/15, many weeks of hunters mingling with bears getting ready to den up.

I don't remember where but I heard marine flares were a good bear deterrent. Every animal runs from fire and the marine flares are like holding the sun in your hand. Definitely not a good option if there are fire restrictions though. I'll try to find the podcast that they were mentioning them.

Hopefully avoiding (re) starting the discussion - just an observation......

In the attack on the MN hikers last week I read that bear spray, while on the victim, was not deployed - not enough time to react.
This attack, a handgun is/was reported to have been in possession of the hunter and or guide. From the reporting so far - was possibly of little use??

When the lengthy discussions regarding "which sidearm etc. for G Bear country is best...." come up, I hope folks recall the reality(s) of these two recent incidents.

They both appear to be great (yet unfortunate) reality checks regarding how quickly and unexpectedly these bear attacks unfold. Lotsa' folks out sneaking around quietly, cow calling/bugling, leaving dead critters on the ground, etc. It's only 9/15, many weeks of hunters mingling with bears getting ready to den up.

Good point. I used to religiously carry my .357mag revolver when hiking our land in northern MN because we had confirmed mountain lion in trail cams, until at some point I just accepted that if that thing was going to come for me it was going to be from behind with zero chance for me to react - they are eerily stealthy. I do still carry when grouse hunting as I have bloody birds on my back, but more for the confirmed timberwolves than the lion.

That's a horrible thing to happen and probably not good news that the story still hasn't been updated yet today.

Kind of figured this was coming. Very tragic. Also, according to the article the client threw the guide a pistol and left the scene "Chubon told investigators that he threw a pistol to Uptain before successfully fleeing and phoning authorities". Wonder why he didn't try to fire the pistol at or near the bear instead of throwing it and leaving the scene?

So the client just left him there to fend for himself? I guess one of the downsides to being a guide is you don't know really who you're out there with.

Sad set of circumstances.

I know I'm coming off as harsh, different mindset I guess.

Kind of figured this was coming. Very tragic. Also, according to the article the client threw the guide a pistol and left the scene "Chubon told investigators that he threw a pistol to Uptain before successfully fleeing and phoning authorities". Wonder why he didn't try to fire the pistol at or near the bear instead of throwing it and leaving the scene?
I'm trying to figure that out in my head. Doesn't add up, but I wasn't there, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't remember where but I heard marine flares were a good bear deterrent. Every animal runs from fire and the marine flares are like holding the sun in your hand. Definitely not a good option if there are fire restrictions though. I'll try to find the podcast that they were mentioning them.

I heard the same thing on a podcast and found the episode I heard it on. It was The Rich Outdoors Podcast EP156

I was curious about the same thing. Tragic deal all around, prayers sent to the guide's family...

Tragic news for the family.
Be interesting to hear the client (from Florida) tell the story. Did guide tell him to leave? Did he just huck the pistol towards the guide and bail?
My dad and bro are horsebacked into the teton wilderness until the 23rd. Hopefully they dont have any close griz encounters.

Wonder what the photographer with the griz tag thinks of this?

I'm trying to figure that out in my head. Doesn't add up, but I wasn't there, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, I think it’s damn near impossible to know what any one of us would do in a situation like that if we haven’t ever been in it. In a fight or flight situation some people just go with flight. Rough, rough situation all around.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back