Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Bear/eagle/critter proofing food

shaffe48

What do others do? My first two trips to Alaska, many areas did not have trees suitable for a bear bag. Plus last year I had an eagle tear through my canvas bag, scatter my pasta, and fly away with an entire bag of granola. Of course it was on the ground, but I suppose an eagle could get it hanging in a tree just fine.

1. Get a bear fence - store food inside fence, covered with a tarp.
2. Store on ground, covered with tarp and piss around to keep bears out.
3. Store on ground, covered w/tarp and scatter circle of moth crystals around. (Be careful not to let crystals come in contact with food - lends an "interesting" flavor.)
Or use any combination of the above.
To be honest - all the guides I know simply store food under the tent fly and pee around the area or use a bear fence.

To be honest - all the guides I know simply store food under the tent fly and pee around the area or use a bear fence.

I'm probably over paranoid, I'm sure. But the thought of being either flown in or hiked in a long ways and wake up to no food on day two is a little worrisome for me.

1. Get a bear fence - store food inside fence, covered with a tarp.

I will add this one to my list of options. The benefit would be that it would also protect me in my tarp if it surrounded me. The disadvantage is that they are very heavy, even heavier than a bear vault.

I've also looked into a bear vault. These are at least two pounds and these lighter ones have a poor reputation for being bear proof. The good ones weigh over 3 pounds which is just too heavy.

They sell carbon fiber bear vaults which are very expensive. You can rent them. This would be an option if I had low liability if a bear messes one up that I rented.

I've also been looking into a spectra fabric ursack major for $80. These weigh a mere 8 oz and have a very proven reputation for bears not getting into them. Problem is, they can crush your food into smithereens trying so I was steering away from these. But they also have an aluminum liner for $30 that weighs 10.5 oz that they claim prevents crushing. I think this 18.5 oz $110 option is the most effective. So effective, it might be better than bear bagging even if there are trees.

I'm probably over paranoid, I'm sure. But the thought of being either flown in or hiked in a long ways and wake up to no food on day two is a little worrisome for me.

A little paranoia can go a long way. Remember - not every bear is out to get you, you just have to worry about the one that is. :)

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back