Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Scouting/ questions / photos

lifesupport4u

Went to scout today. Have a few questions... saw pronghorn rutting by my house but no signs of rutting a few hours away. What will pronghorn buck behavior be in CO rifle season?

Will they drink from cattle water tanks and can they reach or does it need to be ground level water like ponds and streams? That may be strange but not sure they can reach the water in some of the cattle water tanks?

Really want the buck from the first photo but doubt he will be around come rifle season. Saw one other bigger buck that ran off before I could get a photo of him. Starting to get excited for the season but a little nervous about the # of hunters in this unit.

02CE78B0-E428-426F-A313-C693652AEF30.jpg6943114C-0FDC-4254-B769-A213A8AEA0B7.jpg118B2E8A-25A1-4C96-9529-1C1B880DFD39.jpgFEDEF2BB-762C-4A25-9F29-ED315DE7CA55.jpg

Might be just a tad early for rutting action. Bucks around here are starting to gather up harems and keep other bucks away, so it probably won't be too long. So far as your water question, if they can reach it, they'll drink from it. I see cattle and pronghorn using the same water tank source on my way to and from work most everyday (not at the same time though...)

IMO, Rutting should be just about ending during Colorado rifle season this year.

Also been told that antelope will travel for miles along a fence looking for a place to crawl under it rather than jump over it. Not sure if that's true or not. I've seen them jump from a standing start. Somebody in Douglas once remarked that the lopes in town jump fences because they see the deer do it. One time I was driving the road north of Douglas that goes to Natural Bridge and some lopes crossed the road in front of me. A fawn got caught in some fence wires so I stopped to help. The little chit got free at the last second and took off like a BOOH to its mom.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info...

Also, there is an area with a windmill farm. I didn't see any pronghorn in the area of the windmills.... is this just happenstance or do they not like the windmills/ movement / shadows moving ?

If the rut ends, I assume like other animals the larger bucks will leave the herd? Or do they stay with the herd for a while?

The bucks tend to have a harder time with fences than does due to their horns. I've watched a buck run back and forth on a fence line for 10 minutes trying to regroup with his harem.

The bucks tend to have a harder time with fences than does due to their horns. I've watched a buck run back and forth on a fence line for 10 minutes trying to regroup with his harem.

I saw one standing by a fence and just jumped over easy as pie. Depends upon the lope I suppose.

Also been told that antelope will travel for miles along a fence looking for a place to crawl under it rather than jump over it. Not sure if that's true or not. I've seen them jump from a standing start. Somebody in Douglas once remarked that the lopes in town jump fences because they see the deer do it. One time I was driving the road north of Douglas that goes to Natural Bridge and some lopes crossed the road in front of me. A fawn got caught in some fence wires so i stopped to help. The little chit got free at the last second and took off like a BOOH to its mom.

I wish I could've seen the facial expression on his face as you were walking up. He'll be one wise lope when he gets older

I wish I could've seen the facial expression on his face as you were walking up. He'll be one wise lope when he gets older

It looked scared chitless. Was probly 10 feet from the road. Never got close enough to touch it before it got loose on it's own. The small herd was waiting for it a couple hundred yards out.

Another time here in Iowa during deer season, a small deer jumped into a road ditch and went into snow almost up to it's head. I stopped to help it, but it too got away by itself just in time.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back