Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Black Hills Archery Whitetail. Stand or stalk?

dannyb278

Heading out to the Black Hills of South Dakota in late October for a whitetail archery hunt. Planning on hunting between Hill City and Pactola. would like to hear anyone's thoughts who have hunted the Hills on what would be the best method; spot and stalk or stand hunting near water sources. I will be taking my brother on his first bowhunting and first public land hunt and I want to make it the best possible experiance. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing me towards that thread. Still hunting is foreign to most Minnesota whitetail Hunters but we may just give it a try. Though I still might hang a stand over a nice green pasture with a stream running through it.

I think you’ll be better off sort of mixing the two tactics- just minus the treestand. Spot them the first couple sits and adjust accordingly the next few from the ground. I think being in a tree limits you out there.

Thanks for pointing me towards that thread. Still hunting is foreign to most Minnesota whitetail Hunters but we may just give it a try. Though I still might hang a stand over a nice green pasture with a stream running through it.

I grew up in Minnesota too! Treestand hunting is what I cut my teeth on. In four years out there, I only shot two out of a stand. The rut activity is hard to judge. One fall, I had more elk walk by than deer.

I turkey hunt the hills in the spring. Advice: find a logging road of some type. Deer often travel the path of least resistance. I often sit and have many deer walk past me on the roads. I hunt from a ground blind.

good luck to all
the dog

I was skeptical but a new guy to our group last year brought a stand. He and his girlfriend took deer from it quicker than any of us ground hunting.

thanks all for the advice. I have a feeling we'll be packing stands, a blind and good boots!

I’ve hunted the hills quite a few times, but almost always rifle season. I would suggest starting off still hunting until you find what looks like a great spot to hang a stand. Tons a roads in the hills, find two roads paralleling each other and hike to the top of the ridge between them. That’s where you’ll find the most deer sign. I know, sounds easy and obvious advice. Have had good luck in the horse creek burn area.

Stand and stalk.Stand next to a tree near water if none show than stalk around.:cool:

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back