WY elk, round 2

BuzzH

So, George and I ran into each other shortly after I moved to Laramie 18 years ago while I was hunting elk in a general unit. I camped close to where he and his group have been hunting since the late 1960's and George and I have become pretty good friends.

He was bummed that he couldn't make it out to hunt over labor day with me, so we went out this morning.

We located a pretty good group of elk right at legal shooting light and started to make our way over to them. We didn't even get a third of the way over when we spotted 3 cows in a draw feeding. We put a short stalk on them and I had the privilege of watching the old master make a text book shot right at 200 yards on a 1.5 year old cow. Shot it with his 30/06 sporterized enfield and 165 grain partitions. George looked at his watch...6:50 AM. I apologized that it took so long for him to get his elk...he laughed. Had it back to the truck and on our way home by 9 sharp.

He does great for a guy 75 years old...he packed a front and all the rib, neck, and loins, I got the 2 hinds and the other front so we got out in one trip.

Fun, fun day and one I wont forget.

IMG951082.jpg

IMG951118.jpg

Grats to George and the camaraderie you two share. Hope when I'm 75, I'm bucking up my packouts!
Mouth watering freezer filler!

Nothing more rewarding than passing it on to a new hunter or helping out a seasoned one. I hope I am able to hit the woods at that point in my life!

Good deal all around. A hunt I'm sure you will both cherish more as the years pass.

Congrats on a great hunt! Nothing better than spending it with a great friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back